PDA

View Full Version : Why is it...

Anonymous
26-11-01, 11:30 AM
.. that touring cars and tarmac rally cars have big wheels? i thought smaller wheels gave better handling?

Anonymous
26-11-01, 11:36 AM
to fit the big brakes

x-b :)p He Who Laughs Last Laughs Longest :)p x-b

Anonymous
26-11-01, 11:46 AM
and to have the width to grip the road
with the power they have wheel size does not really make a difference

x-b :)p He Who Laughs Last Laughs Longest :)p x-b

Anonymous
26-11-01, 12:22 PM
and have u ever seen a bumpy track?
look at the sizes of wheels rally cars run on the forrest/tarmac stages

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
26-11-01, 06:00 PM
I was reading an article about this yesterday, and the reason isn't what you'd think. I'll post more later unless CP beats me to it.

**Why take 16V's onto the track when u can use 8?**

Anonymous
26-11-01, 06:30 PM
I delieve it is so that that in a bumpy forrest the cars have more tyre side wall to flex generating more grip and slightly more absorbtion to bumps. On tarmac they will run lower profile tyres to minimize side wall flex making the handling of the cars more consistent due to the tyre not wanting to fold over and roll onto the side wall. Thais is similar to RC cars so it might not be relevent. Rick

They say "good things come to those who wait" and me and John have waited longer than most!

Anonymous
26-11-01, 07:38 PM
The larger the circumfrence of the rim, the larger the longitudanal contact area, so you can run at higher pressures minimizing sidewall distortion which in turn reduces heat generation and provides a consistent level of grip at the same time as prolonging the life of softer compound tyres.

**Why take 16V's onto the track when u can use 8?**

Anonymous
26-11-01, 08:50 PM
So i was sort of right then MC if not a bit primative in my explanation? Rick

They say "good things come to those who wait" and me and John have waited longer than most!

Anonymous
27-11-01, 08:46 AM
Nah, it aint any of that, I'm afraid lads. With the benefit of my great age and experience I can reveal what I've overheard when I've been to the practise days as a corporate guest and its something along these line:
Jason Plato to team boss: " Fuck me, did you see the size of the wheels on that Peugeot that just went by?"
Team boss: " I fecking well did. Were they 20's? They looked well mint spesh as the car's been slammed -80mm as well! Do you thing they've had to roll the arches?"
Jason: " Dunno" and then in a whining voice " Boss why can't I have 20's then? Its not fair etc.etc."
Boss " Oh alright Jason. Tell you what lets try and slip some 21's under ours and slam it -90mm just to piss them off!"

Anonymous
27-11-01, 09:44 AM
lmao@CP I can just picture that in the pits!!!! hahhaa

Garages sticking to their promises???? not likely!!! :(

Anonymous
27-11-01, 10:17 AM
hahahaha quality joke CP!

Anonymous
27-11-01, 10:21 AM
so which one is telling the truth?
lol

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
27-11-01, 01:17 PM
Me obviously - I'm suprised you had to ask Micky! Tsk!

Anonymous
27-11-01, 06:26 PM
ROFLMFAO class CP