PDA

View Full Version : torque output in 5th gear

Yeti
29-10-04, 12:58 PM
K i'm doing an assignment 4 college and i need to comment on "the torque output in 5th gear" can any one help me----------- any help greatly appreciated.

safe
:D :D :D :D :D

DrivingSpanner
29-10-04, 01:02 PM
torque output in 5th gear?!?!? the engine will have the same torque in all gears... torgue is to do with the engine pulling power, not the g box.... or do you mean todo with gearing ie overdrive???

Stuart
29-10-04, 01:31 PM
torque at the wheels will be reduced significantly at you are not only dividing the RPM by the gear ratio and FD ratio(and effective wheel/road ratio). but you are also dividing the effective torque at the wheels by the same variables

say 5th gear is 0.8 fd is 4.0 (for examples) you will have an effective ratio of 3.2 so 100ftlbs of engein torque will be 31ftlbs

but its good for crusing to reduce fuel consumption

thats a very very rough outlook on it. get the bosch automotive handbook (blue bible!!!)

Stuart
29-10-04, 01:33 PM
in the 4th edition of the blue book look on page 555 for the tractive force/speed diagram

or search google for that very title lol
or the "equilibrium relation between drive forces and tractive resistance"

HTH

DrivingSpanner
29-10-04, 01:48 PM
thats a good book lives in the top dray of my toolbox!!! got me outa many a scrape!!! hadnt thought of that maybe i should go back to college a relearn i've forgoten half of it cos i never use it!!!

Stuart
29-10-04, 02:01 PM
;) gotta think out of the box

also "an engineering data book" (thats the title) is fantasticly handy too

and if your really stumped www.howstuffworks.com is a good starter/refresh

burgo
29-10-04, 02:02 PM
in the 4th edition of the blue book look on page 555 for the tractive force/speed diagram

or search google for that very title lol
or the "equilibrium relation between drive forces and tractive resistance"

HTH ooo get you with your big words lol

Stuart
29-10-04, 02:11 PM
words like "in" "of" and "on" ?

:p