PDA

View Full Version : alternator problem

-Bruce-
25-10-04, 09:07 PM
ok me and aragorn have got a wee electrical problem.

we have got a 1.6 16v in aragorns nova and uptill now hes had the wide belt pulley on it but it was catching the chassis so he decided to try n sort it

its a decent bosch 70a alternator so instead of putting a ****e nova one on we fitted the vbelt pulley from the nova onto the bosch alternator and fitted the sri bottom pulley etc and bodged together some adjustment bracket

its all on and working BUT it doesnt seem to be charging right

when we first fitted it the battery guage was sitting at 12v unless u turned EVERYTHIGN off and didnt use the brakes etc, we hooked a new earth strap from the alternator body to the battery to chassis earth point and this seemed to cure it, however now when everything is on it again drops to 12v

if for instance lights, stereo and fan on and i engage heated screen or press the brakes it will drop to 12v untill i disable fan or release brakes

any ideas? have we possibly damaged the alternator swapping the pulleys over??

bruce

m.d.
26-10-04, 06:55 PM
pobably just due to the different sized pulleys

its probably spinning the alternator slower now

-Bruce-
26-10-04, 06:58 PM
yeh i think that is what it is.

so kev will just have to put up with it i suppose. :lol:

bruce

m.d.
26-10-04, 07:04 PM
its probably fine anyway, have a look if the reading gets better as you rev it slightly

it wont go up by much due to a regulator in the alternator :?

Jim
26-10-04, 08:41 PM
I had a problem with the alternator and the AA had to be called out. He said they dont charge on tickover, they require some revs to actually charge the battery, so if your sat there on idel with all those devices on and the brakes on then chances are it wont read much over 12v anyway. Don't hold me to this, im going by what the AA told me, lol.

Jim

robb
27-10-04, 09:01 AM
Yeah I have heard that too, fit a really lumpy cam so it has to tickover at 2000rpm or something, that will keep it charging, or change pulley sizes to run it faster. Bigger on crank or smaller on alternator.