PDA

View Full Version : handling mod's

benji
24-10-04, 11:34 PM
i'm gonna be spending some cash on handling mods over winter. any advice on what to get and what to avoid? at the mo i have avo coilovers.

what are the tas works style uniballs? do they make any difference or are they just stronger?

cheers

ben

burgo
24-10-04, 11:39 PM
poly bushes always help

Dan
24-10-04, 11:53 PM
a cage will make a difference and aid things aswell as add a safety feature. Defo noticed mine the day i fitted it

Stuart
25-10-04, 08:23 AM
imo the uniballs are not worth it if your running a road(ish) car. CP has them but i think he just fitted em cos he could lol

its really a rally mod due to the flack they get put through.

id say deffo lower tie bar mounts OR better yet make adjustable tie bars with rose joints at each end og a tube to make them longer or shorter than STD AND reducing play. ill find some pics of mine that ive made, but not tested yet. hmmmmmmm i need a volenteer (dan, chris ;) )

also bung in a load of front negative camber, and slap some in at the rear too.

benji
25-10-04, 09:24 AM
i've got poly bushes.

stu, you can test them on my car if you like. how long does it take to fit them? next time i do a track day you can fit them half way through the day then check the difference if you like.

http://www.bremsport.co.uk/acatalog/710.jpg

these are listed at ?120+vat, is that each or for the set?

i will probably go for a cage, eccentric top mounts, and the lowered tie bar mounts. how do i change the camber at the back? and won't that kill the tyres

Stuart
25-10-04, 09:30 AM
they are direct replacements for the TCA, tiebar and front mounts, should take about an hour if your slow to change lol. in order to test them effectively you need an open pit so you can do a few laps, dive in change the tie bar length go do a few laps etc.

as for killing tyres, well its a compromise between good grip and tyre wear.

you put spacer washers in the beam-stub bolts, but if your CP you clamp hacksaw blades in there lmao.

benji
25-10-04, 09:39 AM
i will be at donington at least once before christmas, probably more than that, if you want to come down and have a go.

benji
25-10-04, 09:40 AM
up and have a go

Stuart
25-10-04, 10:15 AM
where the feck is donnington? lol

benji
25-10-04, 10:19 AM
m1 j24

Stuart
25-10-04, 10:33 AM
cant go to M1 Junctions greater than about 15 lol
mine will be on the road in march (maybe, so i can test then)

benji
25-10-04, 10:44 AM
why no higher than 15??

Stuart
25-10-04, 10:48 AM
cos then it starts getting a bit too "oop north" ;)

benji
25-10-04, 10:55 AM
bloody southerners, it's like talking to dan. lol
oh well, your loss not mine. i'll let you know when i'm going then it's up to you.

Stuart
25-10-04, 11:07 AM
yeah but dan lives in wales ;)

ill see when it is and ill see how much holiday time i have left :)

any other "local" voulenteers more than welcome to have me fettle their suspension for a few days?!

ollster
25-10-04, 12:19 PM
well when you have found the best set up make sure you document them so i can use them too :wink:, ive heard toe wise 2 deg neg is best but im not sure about camber, castor etc. If we a get a few cars set up perfectly would be fun to have a novalaod trip to castle combe etc to go and scare some scoobies etc.

I think a lot of people overlook actaully seting up suspension, they just bolt things on and expect them to work :!: