PDA

View Full Version : urgent help

nova_madness
24-10-04, 06:29 PM
I am in the process of changing my break pads on a mk1 nova. as i have taken off the old ones,obviously u need to push the calliper piston back in to make way for the new 1,s,BUT for some reason it wont budge and my car is now stuck on a trolley jack until i can get the piston back in and put the new pads on.
does any 1 have any advice on wat to do?
any information will be very much appreciated.
thanx again john.

ollster
24-10-04, 06:30 PM
g-clamp + thin block of wood

Philsutton
24-10-04, 07:33 PM
i have been known to use a big hammer an just twat it, a big pair of grips are properly best if you get hold of some.

nova_madness
24-10-04, 07:53 PM
I have tryed the big hammer bit lol and still wont budge but i will try the clamp thanx alot guys.

Riggy
24-10-04, 08:24 PM
undo the lid on the master cylinder to let the pressure out and put some rags around it cos if you do it to fast the fluid will come out :D

-Bruce-
24-10-04, 09:11 PM
put the caliper and the brake disc back on the car and then using a large long tool (hehe) leaver the piston back.

bruce

burgo
24-10-04, 10:42 PM
then using a large long tool (hehe)

you big kid!!

seriously tho use big pipe grips and undo the lid on the master cylinder

Dod
24-10-04, 10:57 PM
Undo the calipar and brake pipe, and it should push straight in, maybe with a ;ittle gentle persuasion. If not, dont hammer it, go to the scrappy and get a decent s-hand one. Brake are the most important thing on a car, get it wrong and you're in bother!!

burgo
24-10-04, 11:01 PM
dont undo the break pipe you'll have to bleed em then

Dod
24-10-04, 11:13 PM
Its better than messing with the Master Cylander is it not? If you dont you could damage the piston or the calipar. and if its that hard to put in, should you be using it on your car?

burgo
24-10-04, 11:16 PM
all pistons are a bitch to push back, also have you tried undoing the brake pipes??? usually a bitch much easier to undo the lid on the master cylinder

ollster
25-10-04, 12:24 PM
seriously, just use a g-clamp + thin block of wood. Put the block of wood over the piston and then span the g-clamp over the back of the caliper and the block of wood, then gently apply pressure, it will move in slowly, easy!

Dod
26-10-04, 04:24 PM
Right. I give up. Use the g clamp and timber. Sounds like a good idea.

Riggy
26-10-04, 04:32 PM
just dont forget ton undo the lid on the master cylinder to relase the pressure

Dpnova
26-10-04, 04:36 PM
i had thesame problem on one of my old ones my calipers were seized. :cry: try other methods but that could be a posiblity