PDA

View Full Version : Job Prospects, Interview help? (Dear John)

krobinson
23-10-04, 09:19 PM
I have an interview for an ICT Technician Job in a Local secondary school on monday. I was a computer technician for 2 years, but have been out of the I.T. world now for close on 3 years, working in various other jobs. I have been shortlisted for this interview, so its a good start.

Now, i need some help, what's the best way to go about this interview. Bearing in mind i have been out of the game for a while, but i'm still good at the job, and my knowlage is still pretty up2date. I'm 21, so this could be an advantage, and a disadvantage.

Any help greatly appreciated, i REALLY want this job, as its extreamly hard to find I.T. work in Northern Ireland, and the time away from it will only get greater, making it harder to get back into it.

Keith

Alex Mac
23-10-04, 10:09 PM
Smartly dressed, hair cut and a big smile :D

Bluff like mad, I can offer you...................etc etc

eg. I will be able to make you a computer from a few cornflake boxes and sticky tape etc etc in 35 seconds

Be unsure what sexuality you are so all the male and female students are safe and you may like older women / men or whatever, your onto a winner with the old interviewers :lol: :lol:

?Marty?
24-10-04, 02:11 PM
If you need to prepare for an interview, or bluff through it, then you're not going to be able to do the job once you do get it.

Make sure you look the part, as first impressions are very important.

They have shortlisted you for interview so you're part-way there already. i.e. it shows that they want you already, you just have to re-affirm that you are the man for the job.

Best not to mention being out of the IT 'worl' for 3 years. Only do so if they mention it, in which case you turn it into a 'i have been diversifying my skills and experience and this has enabled me to approach problems with a greater range of possible solutions, made me better at multi-tasking and blaaaaaah blaaah blaaaah.'' Otherwise keep quiet about that.

What is vital is that you why you would be a vital contribution to their company/team. i.e. :

- 2 years experience
- highlight your ability (make sure you throw in some IT jargon too!)
- state that your knowledge is up-to-the-minute, that you've been following recent developments in IT and etc etc. That it is a continually evolving industry and etc.

Anyway, no matter how great an interview you give, it still doesn't mean you didn't do well if you don't get the job, as it is also luck of the day as to who else turns up that morning. They may just appear more suitable. But even if you don't get it, it's still a good learning exercise.

Also, follow up the interview with a thank you letter next day! NO ONE really does that, but it is something that can give you an advantage.

?Marty?
24-10-04, 02:12 PM
Or you could try the phoning up the next day and saying ''if i do not get the job, there will be a fire....'' approach. Could be good. lol

Ste_Nova
24-10-04, 03:54 PM
don't drool at the students on the tour.... anyone who pervs at the nurses when i give them tours doesn't get the job :lol:

Snowface
24-10-04, 06:28 PM
where u work ste? hospital porter? or are you an Anethatist. lol.

krobinson
24-10-04, 06:51 PM
Cheers Marty, some sound info there!

I'm good at interviews, i can chat away, feel comfortable etc. I'm just hunting for info that may just give me the edge over other people at interview level.

Keith

?Marty?
24-10-04, 08:05 PM
^^^ Research the school. Find out what OS they use, and as much as you can before turning up to the interview then. That way, you can make your skills, knowledge and experience relevant to their application within the role.

You can't give yourself an advantage over other applicants in terms of what skills and experience they have, or how they present themselves, since that is out of your hands, but if you can demonstrate the key qualities they are looking for but you must also demonstrate rlevence of the qualities you posess within the actual role you're aplying for.

The key is to find a balance between underperforming and also overselling yourself. Because yes, that is possible.

Make sure you cover the BASICS, it is surprising on the number of applicants that seem to overlook this fact. I was talking to some guys yesterday that are various business owners, and they were all disappointed with the quality of applicants they have been getting for the verious vacancies they have. They get people with amazing qualifactions and CV's, but then they fail to perform at interview level and seem to have a lack of basic understanding fo what it is that they'd be expected to do!

Also, they all were unanimous in their belief that academic achievement is not a good measure of someones intelligence and ability to perform at a practical level. And this was from around 30 various different business owners, ranging from IT to engineering.

Stuart
25-10-04, 09:22 AM
Also

take the "i dont want the job" appraoch in your mind, then you will be on for it ;)

i didnt want the job i have now, but got it and the circumstances changed and decided i wanted it after all.

Will
25-10-04, 12:59 PM
camb also earns silly money ;)

Stuart
25-10-04, 02:06 PM
no i dont, i earn real money :p

silly money is like monopoly money, OR welsh money etc lol

Ste_Nova
25-10-04, 02:39 PM
where u work ste? hospital porter? or are you an Anethatist. lol.

I'm a doctor

Stuart
25-10-04, 04:59 PM
lmfao

Dr ste at your cervix

krobinson
25-10-04, 05:00 PM
Interview was at 2pm today. Think it went very well. I guess its just the luck of the draw now!

9 people were shortlisted in total, so i dont think thats too bad, as i'm not up against hundreds of people!

Keith

?Marty?
25-10-04, 07:15 PM
Good luck fella.

scott.parker
25-10-04, 08:54 PM
Nice one mate hope you get the job,maybe you will then have so much mony you wont know what to buy next for your nova,lol

scott

scott.parker
25-10-04, 08:56 PM
lmfao

Dr ste at your cervix

PMSL :lol:

Nice one camb,your quite good on the old one liners mate...just like the dont have a paddy one :D

scott

?Marty?
25-10-04, 11:53 PM
If you want to improve your prospects, go work as a mousetrap tester. It will make your fingers hard, and you will be kind mastercater of ladybits.

Or stick to being a Pirate with Alex. Plenty of opportunity in this dying trade.

Ste_Nova
26-10-04, 10:17 AM
9 people were shortlisted in total, so i dont think thats too bad, as i'm not up against hundreds of people!

Keith

3 peeps were listed for my last one.... and one guy didn't turn up.... somehow your odds don't look that good!!

Al Wilson
26-10-04, 12:24 PM
Good luck mate.

Your shiney hard friend is looking forward to hearing the news. lol

martweaver
26-10-04, 12:56 PM
Good Luck mate, when do you find out?

Mart

Will
26-10-04, 01:53 PM

Keith

3 peeps were listed for my last one.... and one guy didn't turn up.... somehow your odds don't look that good!!

200 ppl applied for my last job in IT

6 called for interview (1hr)

2 called for 2nd interviews (with many ppl, over 3 hrs)

i got it :D :o

good luck Keith 8)

Alex
26-10-04, 02:10 PM
LMAO You think that's bad Will

I went for a job. 15 places with over 7000 applicants. Narrowed down using the (VERY LONG) application form and three short papers I had to write. Then "shortlisted" after a 2 hour exam. Then "shortlisted" from those after a 30 min phone interview. Then "shortlisted" from those after a 4 hour interview at their headquarters (this is where i got rejected). Then "shortlisted" from those after a one day assessment in small groups. Then "shortlisted" from those you face a panel of interviewers in the final stage.

It took a year for me to get where i did in the application process (with a few other processes and vetting in between those stages).
This wasn't for an IT job though lol.

Good luck with your job Keith :D

krobinson
26-10-04, 05:00 PM
Good Luck mate, when do you find out?

Mart

Within 10 days - 2 weeks. Fingers crossed!!

Keith

Riggy
26-10-04, 05:10 PM
god luck keith hope you get it :D

?Marty?
26-10-04, 06:01 PM
LMAO You think that's bad Will

I went for a job. 15 places with over 7000 applicants. Narrowed down using the (VERY LONG) application form and three short papers I had to write. Then "shortlisted" after a 2 hour exam. Then "shortlisted" from those after a 30 min phone interview. Then "shortlisted" from those after a 4 hour interview at their headquarters (this is where i got rejected). Then "shortlisted" from those after a one day assessment in small groups. Then "shortlisted" from those you face a panel of interviewers in the final stage.

It took a year for me to get where i did in the application process (with a few other processes and vetting in between those stages).
This wasn't for an IT job though lol.

Good luck with your job Keith :D

Yes, that was for hobo pron though, as he had to get various poo pipe tests done to make sure he's not riddled with diseases. lol

krobinson
01-11-04, 07:43 PM
The "Dear John" letter arrived this morning...

Oh well :cry:

Keith

Dpnova
01-11-04, 08:09 PM
better luck next time