PDA

View Full Version : fitting a cam

slatesmate
22-10-04, 10:36 PM
Was wondering if it just a simple case of buying a cam ie kent nvo61 and fitting it as a direct replacement. the engine is a 1.4 8v mpi. On a website i went on i read i would need a fule pressur reg, is this true. It also said Hydraulic injection recommended - what does this exactly mean. the kent website quoted a 12bhp gain seems high from just a cam. Not worried about physically fittin it just makin sure i dont come across any unexpected problems, it sould run ok wit hstandard management, correct.

Thanks for any replys

MechaT
23-10-04, 12:21 AM
Depends what cam you get. A really mild cam with extra lift (the amount the valve is lifted off its seat) might just need the ECU chipping to make adjustments. Where as a long duration (the length of time the valves are opened for) won't work with your standard injection and you'd have to go to carbs or throttle bodies.
The amount of gain you get depends on what other mods you have. A cam by itself won't be much cop - no point havin a lairy cam if the gasses can't get in or out quick enough. If you've got a good induction system and exhaust system then you can get really good gains. It all works hand in hand.
Dunno 'bout hydraulic injection. If they mean water injection, that's for high boosting turbo cars.