PDA

View Full Version : spraying alloys

1400_sri
20-10-04, 06:52 PM
i just bought a set of 15" alloys and am wondering what they will look like in a dark grey or black on a red nova?

I wanna do it myself but what kind of paint do i need. A tutorial would be nice :D

Oh and if you lot have any pictures of of black wheels on a nova, feel free to post!

J4MES
20-10-04, 06:58 PM
they could look really amazing, i say go for it :)

Ste L
20-10-04, 07:00 PM
i was thinkin about doin the same, sprayin my fox rims grey to match the bumpers on my white sri

ade
21-10-04, 07:10 PM
wheels are the same as body work when it comes to spraying
the only thing to remember is you need to use a ton of lacquer to protect them from chips
and its useful to have the rubbers removed.

I did mine 2 yrs ago. You can get wheel paint in a canSimonz do it - and most decent car shops stock it.

You can get them professionally dipped and sprayed for about ?50 a tyre. Ring round body shops.

If you wanna respray them - I did as follows - using a set of MIM 15's that were prev sprayed gold but all chipped and scuffed. I left rubbers on

You'll need -
Masking tape
4 big pags
A couple of big Newspapers
craft knife
spray mask (not a dust mask get a spray mask)
Etch primer - dunno how much but a paint supplier will tell you.
4 cans of normalprimer (if using high build get 2 cans ands 2 cans of normal)
4 cans of paint (if using the wheel silver they come in large cans)
4 cans of lacquer (depending on your preference)
Wet n dry various grades - 600-800 for primer. 120-250 for initial clean up

1. Deflate the tyres as much as you can. Remove all paint from wheels. If badly bubbling sand down to alloy. you can get the paint off using a scraper or just sand it using a orbital sander. If you have gaps to get into (like the novas 3 spoke 14' alloys) stick some wet n dry to some dowling using double sided tape. If youve got some scuffs light ones can be buffed out. Dont try and use body filler to fill dents and deep gouges - it'll eventually crack and come off with the pressure on the revolutions of the wheel. You can get liquid metal which is used to repair alloys but the pros are the best to do this.

2. make sure you degrease the wheel thoroughly including inner rim and dry off. next you need to mask off the wheel and the rubber. I 1st placed the whole wheel into a bin bag and taped up the opening. Then used a scalpel to cut away a hole arounf the allow front. I then carefully masked off the rim and joined the palstic bag hole to the tape as I went. This left an exposed allow front with inner. I then stuffed the hole with newspaper. I didnt want the inside rear walls getting sprayed - just the front (the inside walls are usually okay - its the front that gets damaged the most). Remember to maks off the valve. Also when masking the edhe, get the masking tape right down between the wheel wall and the alloy - tuck it in so the edge of the alloy is exposed. This will help avoid chips on the edge. Smooth tape down using an old knife.

3. If youve removed paint to the alloy, prime using etch primer. This is special primer that is designed to bond to metal better than normal primer. You'll need a spray gun though. You can use normal primer from a can but you'll need a few layers and you may wanna get some high build primer if youve some light scuffs. Allow a good 10 mins between coats for it to "flash" (dry between coats).

4. Once dry (about a day in a warm environment) you need to smooth the primer using 600 wet n dry. You literally just wanna take to top edge off. If youre feeling fancy you can spray on whats called a speckle coat which is basically just black spray paint and you just give a very fine dusting so it leaves speckles over the area. Then all you do is sand this away. Once its gone you know the surface is smooth. be careful on corners and curves not to sand troo much away. ALSO - sand using dry paper - primer is pourous so if it gets wet it'll hold the moisture and ruin your paint job. If it is wet make sure its thoroughly dry before you paint. Use a hair dryer.

5. If youve used high build primer (usually yellowish) you should really spray on a top coat of normal primer (white) and smooth this once dry as above. This will ensure the yellow doesnt influence the final colour

6. Recheck the masking tape and get ready to spray the final colour on. Before spraying final colour I immerse the can into very warm (but not boiling) water and swirl it about. Remove the spray cap 1st though. Thie heat allows the paint to mix better and becomes more fluid. Shake for 2 mins, dry can and then reattach spray cap.

7. Spray like you would spray a panel - left to right from top down, and then once flashed (5 mins or so) and then repeat. I found turning the wheel at each coat means you can get in all the places. you may need to focus on specific areas - keep the can moving to avoid runs. Remember to spray wheel rim where wheel meets rubber.

8. Allow to fully dry for a couple of days in a warm area. This time of year a greenhouse is excellent or indoors.

9. Check for imperfections and remove using wet n dry. Respray is necessary

10. Add lacquer in same way as paint however be careful - you cant see lacquer and its slightky thinner than paint so it can run very easily. Apply as many coats as you wish - 4 or 5 are good!

11. Allow to fully dry for at least 5 days. That will allow lacquer to cure and harden aproviding a protective covering.

12. Carefully remove the masking tape and the bag and the newspaper and thats it.

You can polich using a mix of autoglym super resin polich and t cut to lightly cut the 1st layer of lacquer back to give a deep shine.

I did mine 3 yrs ago and althoug car's not been used for last year the wheels are still immaculate!

Reinflate and avoid the curbs!

Ade
:wink:

retrosi
22-10-04, 09:22 PM
couldnt of said better myself.....however...to cure the wheel the oven 15 mins after heating to 50 degrees and then switched off and then lefted for a few hours cuts the curing process down...never failed to get a deep shine with me.

parrington21
23-10-04, 04:04 PM
im thinking about getting mine re furbd in a perl with blue flip! but not sure what it will look like!

Jim
23-10-04, 05:46 PM
Oh and if you lot have any pictures of of black wheels on a nova, feel free to post!

Ok, its black wheels on a black nova...

http://www.slimjimkelly.btinternet.co.uk/mikeymeet_mynova.jpg

Jim

isrs
28-10-04, 08:30 PM
jim is that your car you posted? what size wheels and offset are they and how low is it?

Stoo
29-10-04, 01:44 AM
My motors having a full makeover in the bodyshop at the mo being resprayed in a House of Kolor Rainbow metalflake over a black base!

Im having the wheels done in black too with a silver flake( really fine) with an ice pearl lacquer over the top!! gonna look sweet as!!

Black nova, black reims! Sweeet!!

Jim
30-10-04, 09:41 PM
jim is that your car you posted? what size wheels and offset are they and how low is it?

Yep, thats my Nova. There 16" wheels and there either et45 or et49, cant remember, but there near as dam it to the correct offset. The car is on coilovers on the front and -80mm springs and shortened dampers at the rear.

Jim

isrs
31-10-04, 06:17 PM
looks good mate. i just wanted to know cause i want to lower the bak of mine 80 mm.

cheers