PDA

View Full Version : nova

naughtyGirl
20-10-04, 05:12 PM
hi agian boys,
i'm going to look at a nova this weekend with my dad, what are the main problem places to look at when buying one? i know the rear arches can rust from posts i've read before but are there anymore things to look out for?

dooooney
20-10-04, 05:19 PM
rust anywere and anything ur not to shure about if its ok and parts that are rusty but just painted over for sounds in the engine

Philsutton
20-10-04, 05:23 PM
check the boot floor an chasis rails for rust as well

Ste_Nova
20-10-04, 06:15 PM
test the suspension :lol:

parrington21
20-10-04, 06:32 PM
test the suspension

that will be done after buying it!! :D

Stanley
20-10-04, 07:57 PM
check for rust where the front wings bolt onto the light housing (slam panel)

could just be mine but its rusted right through!! :?

burgo
20-10-04, 08:02 PM
no stan they al go there mate

you want to check out the owner as well, if he looks like a boy racer then the poor thing will have bin threashed so check the engine over properly

clawsk
20-10-04, 11:36 PM
I got a nice nova for sale,

White gsi 1992 solid shell, some surface rust, nothin major. 91k miles serviced by harry hockley motorsport with a full system group n exhaust, 10mths mot, 6mths tax.

Yours for a grand cos thats what it cost me.

8)

naughtyGirl
21-10-04, 10:22 AM
going to look at a B reg 1.2 4 speed
insurance is fairly cheap an my dad doesn't want me in anything too powerful for my first car :oops:

-Bruce-
21-10-04, 10:32 AM
8) b reg nova, nice!! like the front end on them.

it better be sort of rust free, if not you in for hard work.

bruce

Dave
21-10-04, 02:53 PM
main places to look for rot are:
- front slam pannel at sides (when you pop the bonnet you'll see it)
- bottoms of doors
- rear arches
- boot floor (open boot + lift up carpet)
- sometimes on boot door itself
- round chassis at rear towing eye (on one of mine it fell off :lol: )

just have a good poke round if it's 'b' it's more than likely gonna be a bit abused.

if not i know where there is another mk1 for sale

CP
21-10-04, 07:25 PM
DONT buy the first one you see straight away - its tedious but make sure you get to see a few - there are still some nice clean ones about but a helluvalot have been buggered about by lads "tuning" them up :roll: . It would quicker to tell u where they dont rust. Your best bet will be one thats be owned as town only car for a mum or granny - likely to be totally std have full service history not a lot of miles and less rust esp.if its been garaged. Anything else increases the risk of there being problems

ps dont forget to haggle and dont be afraid to walk away if you cant get the deal u want

m.d.
21-10-04, 08:04 PM
round chassis at rear towing eye (on one of mine it fell off :lol: )

lol the mint 1.2 shell im using now had a rotten towing eye mount. i stood on it and it fell off too, lol

Dod
21-10-04, 09:14 PM
Be sure and bend over and look at all the places down low, oh and ware a skirt or tight jeans, you'll get it cheaper that way. And the car'll be a bit less as well!! But seriously, look at the battrey tray, if it rusts badly enough you're car'll leak water into the inside and soak your carpets, not good.

Dave
22-10-04, 11:46 PM
dod sham you are more of a perv that alex

as cp says don't buy the 1st one just because you feel you have to if it's not right have a good look about, there are plenty about now but not all in the best nick!

the one i know of might be sold now but if the one you look at this weekend is crap pm me an i'll let you know the details.

Dod
23-10-04, 09:53 PM
Here, you're smooth to, aren't you White-nova? PM me, you old romantic!!

Nova's are plentiful, if you want one to drive, not to do up or use as a project, then shop about. There's plenty of good ones, :wink: but plenty of bad as well!! Like the boys are saying, dont buy the first one you see.

Dave
24-10-04, 05:43 PM
*dave shaped hole in wall

naughtyGirl
25-10-04, 02:07 PM
lol @ white nova

went to look at it on sunday, looked in all the places everyone said i should (thanks everyone!) and for what was advertised as a 'clean' nova it wasn't,
it had a fairly good outside but the interior was very shabby and had a hole in the boot floor.
he wouldn't budge from his asking price so we left it there. nevermind still looking for my first baby vaux :(

CP
25-10-04, 02:19 PM
Well played! Very good effort - sounds like you got the hang of it straight off! :D