PDA

View Full Version : fitting a new cam hassel?

rarr
19-10-04, 12:01 PM
Found someone selling a cam of a 1.6 GSi and I was thinking of getting it for my 1.2 (merit plus k reg). Few quick questions...

Does it matter if my 1.2 is injection or carb?
I take it that if it doesnt have the followers its major hassel if not impossible?
If it does come with the followers and everything else, I take it I need to replace the gaskets?
Will I need any special tools? eg a valve spring compressor?

and finally... How much hassel is it really to replace the cam? time scale and all that.

Cheers.

Stuart
19-10-04, 12:46 PM
you ideally need the followers. not the end of the world if not, but be sure the cam and followers arent worn too much

as for changing it you can get a tool that presses the valves down so you can ge tthe cam out without taking the head off, but theya re fiddly to use

best bet is to get the head off and then give it all a good clean etc. s o yes new gaskets and head bolts.

read the haynes manual

rarr
19-10-04, 01:10 PM
cool cheers.. just got my haynes today so I'll have a good read through :)

robb
19-10-04, 01:41 PM
May as well do some head work or at least replace the oil seal set. I would just use the tool, I have done followers before with trim tools :roll:

nova_rally
19-10-04, 09:19 PM
Tis me selling said camshaft on ebay. :o

Have totally forgotten what type of drive it has (someone on here may be able to help) so I cant tell ya what dizzy it runs. It will physically fit a 1.2 yes. I think it will be easiest putting in a 1.2i though, Dizzy drive is probably the same as that.

Followers shouldnt matter as long as yours aren't totally knackered. No point getting new ones to use on a secondhand camshaft. Never had the followers that were matched to this camsahft so cant sell them with it...

Fitting a camshaft is easiest with the head off as you can get at everything easier. As said there is a tool available for fitting it in car.

Which 1.2 do you have by the way?

johnny27
19-10-04, 09:55 PM
Do you need to losen the cam bearings? If so i think they need to be torqued back on, any1 know

rarr
19-10-04, 11:42 PM
ha how odd 8)

I've got a k reg 1.2i merit plus (I thought the i stood for injection but its got a carb :o ) de badged it, put some mesh in instead of the front grill, getting it lowered, put in a K&N air filter of a 1200 ducati (not sure if thats a good idea yet), Interior from a GSi (dash coming) and a nice big ICE system :wink: coming along nicely at the moment... although its still only a 1.2 :cry:

MechaT
20-10-04, 12:16 AM
ha how odd 8)

I've got a k reg 1.2i merit plus (I thought the i stood for injection but its got a carb :o )

Don't mean to insult your intelligence mate, but are you sure it's a carb and not the single-point injection throttle body? Alot of people seem to get them mixed up.

Stuart
20-10-04, 08:13 AM
there is no adjustment in small block 8v cam bearings.

and yes the single point TB does look like a carb

rarr
20-10-04, 08:15 AM
*shrugs* I've no idea only just got it the last week.. so your probably right :wink: