PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions then hopefully running

Sk8rDude
19-10-04, 12:20 AM
(gsi engine loom wiring)

1~ there is a wire that comes from the ecu to the fuel pump, which spade does that wire connect 2, the big or small one? and wot do i connect to the other?

2~for my ignition coil, how do i wire that? at the moment there is a green wire from the engine loom to it but it has had a extra long piece of wire spliced to it which isnt connected to anything and another wire attached to the opposite side of the coil same lengh as the splice wire and it goes to nothin either, any ideas, or originally how is it supposed to be done?
also i've two wires from my origanal loom that used to go to the coil for my 13sr, they are a thin green and a thin black wire, do i still need them, where on the coil would they go if still used

any help useful
cheers

robb
19-10-04, 11:16 AM
Run the fuel pump to a switch on the dash, i used front fogs for mine, adds as an extra immobiliser.

You should have two wires, thin blk + green from the gsi loom coming out near the area where coil should be, these need to be connected to the coil, what coil is it? round one with two connectors on the top or a small square one? round one uses the front most connector, green frontmost again. Other one uses top two of the four spade pins on front under king lead, green frontmost again. You need to use the ones from the gsi loom not car one.

If you don't have the wires you will find them in the plug for the module under coil, strip the sheathing down the wire and connect them on, also check you have the module and dizzy plugged into gsi loom.

Sk8rDude
19-10-04, 12:23 PM
cheers dude.
for the fuel pump, does the wire from the ecu connect to the big or small spade? then on the other spade i got nothin to put to it, do i just earth that one?

the coil: its the one wit the four spades. i only have a thick green wire down near that area. then its spiced into a length of wire that goes nowhere, and the other connector has a length of wire that goes nowhere, any ideas of what to do? wot will i do with the thin green and black wires of my car loom, tape them up or do i need them?

cheers

robb
19-10-04, 12:35 PM
Colour of this wire from ECU?

I will attempt at getting some pictures tonight.

Coil needs the gsi loom wires. peel back the rubber on module connector (under coil) and you will see the thin blk and green, then do a continuity test from that to the wires you say you have....or do you have the connector for the coil but no connection to the loom? It is definately these two in module loom, I have run up 2 cars like this so far and no probs.

Sk8rDude
19-10-04, 12:40 PM
there only seem to be 1 green wire on the coil, but the green wire has been spliced with another wire which doesnt attach to anything also another wire that doesnt attach to anything is on the opposite of the green wire, guessing this is where the black one should be.

robb
19-10-04, 01:35 PM
Yeah you have a plug that looks like a large [ ?

With the ? being the coil and looking from the top of the coil the bottom connector should be green and the top connector should be black or switched live.

Take a look in the wiring into module. peel the rubber back and stick the corresponding wires in there just temporay.

As for the pump get a piece of wire and put between the red and red blue on the plug for relay, you should hear the pump run up.

Try and start it. and let me know 8)

Sk8rDude
19-10-04, 10:41 PM
cheers dude, that done the trick, all workin now! :D
now ive got a problem :(
when i turn the key t start it the starter just makes 1 click(when it throws the bit out, cnt mind what its called :oops: ) but it wont turn the engine :? , is it a knackered starter or could it be something else? if the starter is broke could i use my 1.3sr starter?

robb
20-10-04, 09:09 AM
Yes you can use the 1.3 starter but that just sounds like a flat battery :lol: :lol:.

Easy to see, get a multimeter on DC V and see what the battery is kicking out, anything below 11.5V and you have no hope in hell of starting it. Just jump start.

If the battery is fine check connections on alternator and starter before you piss yourself off changing the starter.

Sk8rDude
20-10-04, 12:31 PM
na, aint a flat battery, checked that, lol.
connections seem proper big battery cable and the switch cable, then earthed through gearbox.
will try my 1.3sr starter tnite see how that goes :roll:
cant bump start it eather cuz there is no fuel in the engine, need it to turn over to get some up there, engine aint been run in a year, it aint ceased though already checked.

Sk8rDude
20-10-04, 12:37 PM
also the green wire on my 1.3sr loom, im guessin it is for the rev counter like on the gsi, yeah? if so would i connect that to the gsi loom for the rev counter on my clock work?

robb
20-10-04, 04:16 PM
The GSi engine needs the electric fuel pump to make enough pressure for the injection system, you do have a fuel pump? (an electric one, refer to previous replies to run it).
Starter wiring sounds right. And as long as the coil has a switched live (thin blk) and green (trigger??) wire then it will spark. Test the spark by holding the leads above engine WITH PLIERS to see a spark, if not check the king lead to eliminate dizzy from problem. If it is a weak spark, i.e. not at plugs but at king lead, ensure you have a thick live to loom, thin blk and green that should be in that connector the loom came with.
All the coil problems I have encountered on the 1.6 have been solved by putting the green and thin black from the module to the coil, that is on Motronic 1.3 systems.
And the green from the SR loom will connect to rev counter, slap that in with the green from the module to get revs working.
Sorry to go on, just thought, see the piccy below, that is from carb, it has the module, coil, 3 pin plug and dizzy wiring in one harness, this is just incorperated into the GSi loom, the green and black on here are from module and the green then extends to the dash through the 3 pin plug:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Picture181.jpg
Good Luck

Sk8rDude
20-10-04, 10:47 PM
hey dude
great news, it was the starter that was knackered, put in my other 1 and the engine started first time!!! :D
was a bit stinky t start with (bearing in mind the engine aint been run for about a year, lol) but took it for a gentle drive and left it runnin for a while and it soon cleared up.
so back on the road now 8)
thanks alot robb for all your help, you've been great :wink:

burgo
20-10-04, 10:55 PM
nice1 mate well done

robb
21-10-04, 09:05 AM
That's alright mate, I had what sounds like the same problem when I was trying to get mine going, very satisfying when it fires up just like that too!?!?

Happy driving :twisted:

m.d.
21-10-04, 07:53 PM
i remember when i took my 1.6 t40 out of the nova about a year or so ago as i had killed the piston rings and it had been running like a dog for ages,

i finally got a 2.0 8v and put that in and did the good old trick of puting the fuel lines on the wrong way round so no fuel, no go lol

but the feeling of satistfaction when it all runs again is emmence, good on ya mate