PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Angle Of Headlights?

Jim
14-10-04, 09:42 PM
How the f**k do you alter the angle of your headlight when you have motorised headlights?

I've tried everything, but my lights still point into the air.

I've just spent the last 2 hours fiddling with the headlights and adjusting the length of the shaft on the headlight motor manually and it's made no difference what so ever to the final position. I managed to get one light pointing to the ground, but as soon as I plugged the other motor in they now point back into the air :x

I've had the headlights on and off the car several times to check that the arm is actually making contact inside the headlight (which it is). Surely this is all there is to it?

There is another adjustable arm that seems to alter the direction of the headlight in a sideways motion, it made no difference to the angle of the beam.

I need to get this sorted asap as I'm suppose to be going to manchester this weekend and dont want to p*ss other drivers off by blinding them like I did on sunday night.

Cheers in advance

Jim

robb
15-10-04, 09:10 AM
Make sure they are sat properly, the little white clips underneath are cnuts.

Will F
15-10-04, 10:22 AM
Jim,
You can either alrer them with the switch on the dash (I guess you have tried that)
Or manually on the motors by turning the dial on them. This will adjust height.

To adjust the angle to need to turn the long threaded bolt with the bck plastic end (technical!) until the angle is correct.

Make sure that the motors are secured properly. I spent an hour on 1 headlight, not knowing that the adjuster arm had popped out inside.

Al Wilson
15-10-04, 03:17 PM
I have had this very problem Jim!

I keep being flashed by other motorists so at the moment I'm driving around on sidelights.

Jim
15-10-04, 06:31 PM
There sat correctly in the clips. I've used the switch on the dash. I'm wondering if the arm keeps popping out everytime I do it? perhaps the arm isn't in far enough, and I keep manually shortening the length of the arm, so it's not actually pulling the light back in order to adjust the angle.

Al, I had to drive on sidelights the other night, but I was driving down country lanes and I couldn't see a thing, don't want to try that again tbh.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll keep trying.

Jim

Stuart
15-10-04, 08:29 PM
jim, there are thumb screws in the backs of them that you twiddle to raise and lower the beam, then tne motor is for load compensation (which you wont really need being a fatty and all)

Dave
15-10-04, 11:48 PM
i have had the same problem with mine it failed an mot because of it lol
on the back of the headlight there is the automatic headlight adjuster that clips onto the bottom of the light make sure this is acyually connected to the light mine wasn't!
take the headlight out an check the little ball is on propperly took me 5 mins to do buts but can see hell of a lot better now!

Al Wilson
16-10-04, 07:17 PM
Al, I had to drive on sidelights the other night, but I was driving down country lanes and I couldn't see a thing, don't want to try that again tbh.

Jim

Tell me about it! Driving around residential is bad enough. lol

nova_rally
16-10-04, 09:48 PM
Ditch the plastic clip, rig up a metal bracket to hold the bottom of the lamp as far back as possible. I'm currently having the same problem just fitted a brand new drivers side headlight and it's only good for looking up at the sky. Could also try elongating the holes in the top to bring the top of the lamp further forward....

PAG
16-10-04, 10:05 PM
i got the same problem with my n/s head light! mine is good for looking at the tops of trees along the road!

Jim
17-10-04, 10:05 PM
nova_rally, I tried putting a couple of washers underneath the lip on the headlamp where it bolts into the front cross member. This did nothing to the angle of the headlamp, which really puzzled me as you'd think it would, lol.

I managed to sort it eventually. I dont think the round piece on the end of the motor was sitting in the headlamp properly, so i played around with it and i think it clicked in place. The headlamps are definatley pointing lower, just need to test it on the road now.

Cheers guys.

Jim

Dave
18-10-04, 09:45 AM
take the headlight out an check the little ball is on propperly took me 5 mins to do buts but can see hell of a lot better now!

Do i win a prize? :lol:

Aragorn
18-10-04, 11:20 AM
there are 2 adjustments

the plastic threaded bar sticking out the top left of the headlight adjusts the beam alignment - this should be done with the motors set to 0 on the dash and with power applied (so the motors actually move to 0)

the motor moves the bottom edge of the reflector, threaded bar adjusts the top edge

motors only purpose is load levelling not actual alignment