PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 turbo

honda
14-10-04, 07:01 PM
can i take a td turbo and manifold and put in my 1.2 ,i know there will be work to do on the oil return but wot else will trouble me :?:

Kev Turbo
14-10-04, 08:29 PM
in a word - NO,

wouldnt be anypoint even if it did work,
better off putting 1.4 in

geordie_racer
14-10-04, 08:58 PM
can be done but not with a td manifold you would use a 1.2 manifold and make an adaptor plate to fit the manifold and turbo bit like fitting a webber carb to nova inlet manifold but obviously for the turbo. other things needed would be rising rate fuel regulator and 5th injector if goin with injection and then a way of lowerin compression for any decent amount of boost, spacer plate and 2 headgasket works. or if carb you'd need a turbo carb from say a lotus or metro 6r4 or r5 turbo.

as for there bein no point? 1. it'd b a unique nova and just take a look at some of the small engined turbo cars that come from the far east and the power they produce then tell me theres no poin!

chris

General Baxter
14-10-04, 09:09 PM
i know of a 1L turbo ;)

the daihatsu charade 1L 12v 3cylinder turbo, and its fast as fcuk!

newboy2thenova
14-10-04, 09:56 PM
my m8s got a dihatsu trx-x 660cc turbo and it wipes the floor with 2.0 16v its made of aluminum and other very light materials..hes got 1 thats had a smack if u want the engine 2 put in ur nova insted of wasting ur time on a 1.2 turbo give me a bell...then it would be a 1 off :D

johnny27
14-10-04, 10:17 PM
i always wanted to here one of those 3 cyc charade's in action, does it sound like a 6cyc? They're very rare if even exsiting over here at all.

johnny27
14-10-04, 10:23 PM
Don't think it would be worthwhile on the 1.2, would you not need at least a 1300 bottom end to stand the power? Probaly even at that you'd want to change a few bits like heavy duty shells bigends conrod bolts, heart breaking that you'd spend the money on the turbo conversion and the engine may only last 15,000 mile. But on the plus side, the turbo charged 1.2 engine maybe be able to get more bhp (maybe not as much torque) than a turbo 1300 because of the shorter stroke?

Lax Power
14-10-04, 11:17 PM
got a couple of the Charade GTti's round our way, nippy little things, one of the first cars to have a genuine 100 bhp per litre. Fall to peases real easy tho.

novahead
14-10-04, 11:21 PM
it will not work,

burgo
15-10-04, 01:33 AM
it will not work,

what wont exactly??? as already said the td manifold onto the 1.2 wont work, but if your saying a 1.2 turbo wont work your rong im afraid.

i would of said this is an easy enough conversion

make exhaust manifold yourself
use a r5 gt turbo carb (will have to make a plate to mount probably)
then spacer plate to lower the compretion
then its the rest of the plumbing which aint that hard

Stuart
15-10-04, 08:26 AM
no need for a spacer plate, just use the 1.6 head (bigger valves for free too)

its not "pointless" but it is a little futile unless your willing to spend loads and take lots of time etc and do it properly.

the 1.2 bottom end will be as strong as the 1600 version, and if anything its more suited to high RPM due to the very (comparatively) stroke. all you need is a good bottome end rebuild, crank polish/grind, bearings, ARP bolts, Shot peened rods, maybe new pistons, new rings for sure, hone etc

but thats approx ?700-1000 depending on what you get/have done and so on

it aint gonna be cheap OR easy, but it would be fun to see.

j1400
15-10-04, 11:38 AM
my 1.2 bottom end had Mahle pistons in it! So I've always thought you could jsut bolt on a turbo and then a 5th injector set up, maybe it's worth put putting a 1.6 head on to lower CR a bit though.

Stuart
15-10-04, 12:26 PM
umm mahle didnt just make "uprated" pistons. they made them for whoever wanted them

even rover (and they were really weak for them)

and the 5th injector idea requires an ECU + a piggy back ecu. so its not the "easiest" option.

novaneil has/had one of the best 1.6 8V setups going with DTA running it all etc.

novashed
15-10-04, 03:53 PM
there was a 1.2 turbo hillclimb nova ina ford rolling road feature in Retro Cars mag, didn't have much in fo on it though, might be worth seeing if any contact could be made with the owner throughthe mag itself. i think he was the owner of the rolling place they used, not sure.

Steve Barker
16-10-04, 11:24 AM
sounds like a headache job to me ! what sorta power will that bad boy be putting out at the end ?