PDA

View Full Version : Battery Or Alternator Or...

sTuDeNt
13-10-04, 06:40 PM
Guys have a bit of a delema at the moment with my girl... 8)
Not too sure whats wrong or whats causing it. There is no obvious problem but at night time when car is idling all the light are dim when I accelerate they go much brighter and you cn clearly see it, also the voltmeter gauge needle jumps alot when I switch any electrical equipment, even when I brake it goes quite a lot down...

Any ideas what it is?

Thanks a lot guys in advance!

Adam
13-10-04, 08:11 PM
Probably alternator, as when you accelerate you spin the alternator quicker and so more leccy is produced, hence why your lights go brighter.I think anyway.
It probably isn't generating enough power.
If you have a multimeter you could check for voltage and see what you get, should be 12-14V if everything is OK, a good battery will be 13-14v.

nova ian
13-10-04, 10:02 PM
^as above^ id say its probably alternator

sTuDeNt
14-10-04, 01:06 AM
I see!
Any idea how much would new alternator would cost me and where is the best place to get it from? I guess if I ask vauxhall they will ripp me off hard...

5door_racer
14-10-04, 01:31 AM
i got quoted 55 quid for a reconditioned one at a motor factors, should be as good as a new one

Will F
14-10-04, 08:50 AM
I wouldnt worry, the fact your lights go brighter when you rev is a good sign!! It shows that the alt is charging.

Only worry when the battery light comes on.

Chris
14-10-04, 04:03 PM
I agree with Will. The voltage should be regulated to 13.7 or 13.8volts from the alternator, although this wont be produced until you rev the engine

Chris

Philsutton
14-10-04, 04:54 PM
my battery lights been on for 5 months now

novahead
14-10-04, 11:19 PM
my battery lights been on for 5 months now

wot isit phill doggie light?

Philsutton
15-10-04, 01:28 PM
more like f**ked clocks, at billing while back it all just stopped working, only the petrol gauge works now an the battery light has ben on since. I dont havew the energy to fix it

Al Wilson
15-10-04, 03:13 PM
^^^ Sounds very familar mate with a stripped out one. Everything goes on of off seemingly when it wants to.

As for the problem have you tried checking the alternator belt. It could be lose/stretched or the adjustment bolt may have come loose?