PDA

View Full Version : New Job

wisewood
11-10-04, 04:21 PM
I got a new job - interviewed this afternoon, and starting tomorrow morning.

I've been unemployed for only a week, proof that if you're not overly fussy about what you do, its easy to find a job that pays you the sort of money that you want. I am working in an office environment earning the same money as before (actually a few quid a year extra).

Only draw back is that it's working a crappy 12 hour shift pattern, but at the end of the day all that matters is that in a few weeks time i'll get paid again so i'm happy for now and can always keep looking for the sort of job that i want to do full time.

I'm a happy man this evening... till the other half gets home and i tell her that i'm working 12 hours shifts... 3 days, 3 nights and then 3 days off.

Better than soap dodging down the job centre to sign on though.

Stuart
11-10-04, 05:11 PM
get a job, hippy

epo
11-10-04, 05:37 PM
does this mean you'll be back online again then mate?

srs1
11-10-04, 07:11 PM
well done andy.

as a top tip mate, answer the phone when people ring you!

:twisted:

Jules
11-10-04, 07:46 PM
I'm a happy man this evening... till the other half gets home and i tell her that i'm working 12 hours shifts... 3 days, 3 nights and then 3 days off.

Blimey! Congrats on the job mate but 3 days, 3 nights and 3 off?!
I do 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off (Also 12 hour shifts - 7 o'clock start & finish).

nam
11-10-04, 07:53 PM
congrats mate :+:

Mel
11-10-04, 09:03 PM

Blimey! Congrats on the job mate but 3 days, 3 nights and 3 off?!
I do 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off (Also 12 hour shifts - 7 o'clock start & finish).

my dad does 2 days, 2 off, 3 nights, then the next week, 2 off, 2 days, 3 off, then 2 nights, 2 off, 3 days, then restarts lol..all 8-8 12 hr shifts.

Congrats on the job Andy, i wish you well.

jkhilton
11-10-04, 10:20 PM
Congratulations on the job. The shifts do sound harsh, but you soon get into it.

dan_mk1
11-10-04, 10:21 PM
i do, 2 days on, 5 days off, lol, do i win?

Al Wilson
12-10-04, 11:47 AM
Congrats, as you said its money and an opportunity to look for something you really want to do.

I work 16 hours a week, do I win for the least?

wisewood
14-10-04, 11:18 AM
The shifts aren't so bad really... I work 3 days and finish at 8:30pm, then i'm in for my first of 3 nights 24 hours later so thats enough time to switch my head round for the night shifts... then it's 3 days off... which is obviously quite nice.

I dont get any days off like bank holidays/christmas etc - if it's my shift it gets worked simple as that - but i do get double time for working bank holidays etc, so dont really mind... especially as i have always worked bank holidays etc where i was before anyway.

Probably wont get to spend my entire shifts online, at least not for a good while yet - i need to make sure that at least for my probationary period i am well behaved. Not sure how long that is yet though.

I'll be around every few days or so to make sure things are running as smoothly as could be hoped though :D A few random bans etc lol.

GTE-RACER
15-10-04, 11:43 AM
i work shifts 2, wouldn't change it for the world...

week1 4pm - 12 (normally finish about 10 and home by 11pm)

week2 8am - 4pm

week3 Sat/Sun 8am-8pm (more like 9am till 6pm with many hours of free pool/Sky TV/free drinks/snack machine..)

Ohh and in weeks 1-3 i spend on avg. 5hours a day playin on the net :)

Week4 Week off

Matt Nova
15-10-04, 01:11 PM
Congrats mate

my dad does 6X 12 hour shifts and then has 3 days off

Al Wilson
15-10-04, 03:32 PM
A few random bans etc lol.

I have a list. :wink:

wisewood
20-10-04, 02:44 PM
Next time i've got some spare time i am going to make a complaints thing so people can bitch about stuff to do with novaload - and it'll be in a format simple enough for the poo gprs on my phone to read it, so i can access it from work lol.

Jim
20-10-04, 08:38 PM
Excellent stuff, nice one Andy. You were out of work a bit less than myself, although I took on agency work, so i was probably at home for a total of 2 weeks till i found a job in the industry that I wanted to work in.

Jim

wisewood
21-10-04, 12:10 PM
When i started i was thinking that there is no way i wanted to work there for long, mostly because of the hours but its not actually that bad... it's mostly quiet all day, so plenty of time for me to read my MCSE study guides...

The other thing is, its a responsible position, and is classed as being a junior management role, which will look good on my CV because on the night shifts i am responsible for hundreds of staff around the country... which is cool.

GTE-RACER
21-10-04, 10:54 PM
I've done the MCSE, good luck m8

Thinking about starting the next bit of the course.., the MCDBA, which sounds abit boring really...

wisewood
22-10-04, 10:52 AM
MCDBA doesnt really interest me that much to be honest... not for now anyway. I really just wanna get a couple of the MCP's out of the way so i have something credible to get me an IT job without too much blagging :lol: