PDA

View Full Version : reposted - Plane crash

Anonymous
12-11-01, 03:32 PM
NEW YORK (CNN) -- An American Airlines jet with 255 people on board crashed Monday on takeoff from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport.

The plane went down at 9:17 a.m. EST in the Rockways section of the New York City borough of Queens, about five miles from Kennedy Airport.

CNN confirmed the plane was American Airlines Flight 587 from New York to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The plane was a Boeing Airbus A300.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said the plane was carrying 246 passengers and nine crew members.

Asked if terrorism was suspected, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Bill Schumann said, "All options are open at this time. We have very limited information."

The Pentagon said surveillance fights were going on in the area and nothing unusual had been spotted.

At least four houses were on fire, and a huge plume of smoke could be seen rising from the site. The New York Fire Department dispatched 44 firetrucks and
200 firefighters to the scene.

All three New York City-area airports -- Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark -- closed after the crash, along with all the city's bridges and tunnels. Mayor Rudy
Giuliani declared a Level One emergency, mobilizing all available police, fire and emergency personnel.

Anonymous
12-11-01, 04:33 PM
New info posted... explosion on board!!! :O

Queens crash witnesses tell of explosion
Witnesses of the New York air crash have reported hearing an explosion moments before the plane came down.
One told Fox News there were "lots of bodies" lying in the street near the emergency service exclusion zone while another said he thought he saw an engine on the American Airlines Airbus A300 blow up.

Another told CNN that she heard a loud explosion and reported seeing pieces of "silvery metal" falling from the sky.

She added: "I didn't hear an explosion at first ... I heard an explosion - a big bang - boom - in front of the house."

Another witness said she had seen a "fireball" as the plane hit a building behind her home.

The unnamed woman said: "I saw this hit the house right behind my house. It seemed so low that I was ducking, almost. Then there was this enormous fireball. It is utter terror here, everybody's just in shock. It's hard to believe, you don't think it's going to hit this close to home."

Eddie Niedes said he saw an engine on the wing blow up seconds before the plane plunged to the ground.

He added: "It was flying fine with no problems. It seemed to be on a normal flightpath. Then the engine on the right side blew up and it went straight down into a nosedive.

"There were flames on the right hand side. It was very fast. I don't think the pilot had any choice but to go straight down."

He added: "It was very very frightening. I was watching the plane from my office all the way along and it blew up right in front of my eyes

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
12-11-01, 06:08 PM
:-/ where'd my post go IAN?

B-) Streakers beware: Your end is in sight B-)

Anonymous
13-11-01, 12:15 AM
Deffinatley a accident as the pilot dumped fuel before it crashed. Now all i want to know is will the civil aviation authority take away airbus A300's air worthyness cretificates? Like concorde? As a Engine falling off is quite seriouse aint it? And more people have been killed in this crash than in the concorde crash. Rick

They say "good things come to those who wait" and me and John have waited longer than most!

Anonymous
13-11-01, 08:44 AM
engines are designed to fall off :O in the event of major engine failure

Anonymous
13-11-01, 10:18 AM
sounds like a stupid design plan to me. just creates two crash sites. :(

1.3SR FOR SALE ?200
Click For Details.
http://www.novaload.net/forums/forum.asp?ref=2347&id=6&desc=For+Sale+%26+Wanted&mpp=&sort=

Anonymous
13-11-01, 11:50 AM
the plane can fly with one engine