PDA

View Full Version : T40's checklist

dunova
09-10-04, 04:27 PM
Right, i have my t40's now, i think i know what else i need but wanted to check with some peeps;

-Alternator lowering bracket
-Correct manifold!
-Airfilters (should i bother or not?)
-Adjustable fuel pressure regulator so i dont over fuel them
-Linkages

Anything else? They're going on my gsi, so do i need to do anything to do with the fuel tank as its going from injection to carb? Would 32mm chokes be a good size to go for? And last question, should i bother hooking up the choke cable?

Cheers lads

MechaT
09-10-04, 10:25 PM
All sounds right. Get air filters. Don't forget to get a distributer from a carbed engine too. 32mm chokes are good.

dunova
10-10-04, 02:13 PM
Oops forgot about the distributor-Could i use one from a 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4? Is there any difference between them? Am i allright using my fuel tank on my gsi? I think i will get filters, its just i've heard some people dont bother with them :?:

Will F
11-10-04, 09:04 AM
Best using the 1400 dissy for the vacuum advance option.

-Bruce-
11-10-04, 09:19 AM
yeh as Will says use the 1400 dissy. also get a coil and ignition module from a 1400 aswell. you also have to make the alternator adjuster bracket longer!!

bruce

dunova
11-10-04, 10:34 AM
you also have to make the alternator adjuster bracket longer!!

How would i go about doing that?! Why do i have to actually swap my coil/distributor/ignition module?

Am i alright using my original fuel tank?

Bigger job than i first thought :roll:

-Bruce-
11-10-04, 10:54 AM
to make the bracket longer just get two brackets and cut both and weld them up so its twice as long. as for the coil module thing, i cant remember why i changed mine but the 1400 is a better design compared to the 1200 (black cap style)

bruce

Snowface
11-10-04, 06:29 PM
either get a longer bracket made or buy a slight smaller belt.

Dan
11-10-04, 07:02 PM
vacuum advance wont do anything, dont worry about that option, have you sorted out a fuel pump of any kind for the carbs. (not injection one)

Stuart
11-10-04, 07:04 PM
and you dont need the choke cable connecting up

krobinson
11-10-04, 08:25 PM
Get a fancy small filter for your oil breather too.

I'll be running a Facet Silvertop pump, i hear they are excellent.

Keith

dunova
12-10-04, 08:23 AM
Okay, so here's my new shopping list:

-1.4sr dizzy, coil and ignition module
-Alternator bracket and proper inlet manifold (I think i have sorted now from a post in the for sale forum)
-Fuel pump-Does this mean an fse fuel pressure regulator will not do the job? Do i need an fse and a fuel pump?
-Filters
-One fancy oil breather filter :lol: I think my mate has a spare K&N oil breather filter so i'll steel that from him

I think that's it-Have i forgotten anything? I take it once i've done the swap i just disconnect all my sensors+remove the ecu? I might leave it in for a little bit just incase anything goes wrong. Are there any sensors/connections i need to leave wired up? E.g temp sensor

A lot more to think about than i first thought

dunova
12-10-04, 08:48 AM
Just found some facet fuel pumps but which is better, a 12v red top or
a facet 5psi Low Pressure Fuel Pump that i found on ebay. The ad says:

This was a feeder pump for my swirl pot from fuel tank. It was fitted but never used. Ideal for simular setup or for twin 40's - 45's - carb setup

Which sounds quite good to me?

Stuart
12-10-04, 09:56 AM
a 5psi pump is fine

you only need 3 - 3.5 psi for the carbs

and get a better pressure reg than an fse.

dunova
12-10-04, 10:16 AM
I'm now getting a facet red top fuel pump from T4YSX, what other fuel pressure regulators are there? Which are good etc? I can understand needing a fuel pressure regulator but what does a desent fuel pump do that a normal one doesn't? I take it i do need both?

Stuart
12-10-04, 12:28 PM
:roll:

you NEED a pressure reugulator, even if you run the std mechanical pump on the engine!

read what people are saying!

i hope your taking them to a garage to fit and setup, otherwise we are in for a hell of a lot of questions lol

dunova
12-10-04, 01:02 PM
I was going to fit them and then have them setup. They're jetted for a nova sport but i'm hoping it'll run well enough for me to get them somewhere to be setup.

And the point of these forums is for people to get answers to stuff they dont know, so i hope i can ask as many questions as i want (if i dont know/understand) and get replys from people that are willing to help. I think i know everything i need to know though so thanks.

Snowface
12-10-04, 03:09 PM
what sorta fuel pump you got?

the mechanical pump on my carb'd nova outputs 6-8psi.
a spi fuel pump is about 11 psi and an mpi pump about 40psi.

For dellorto's they need to have 3psi, webers need 3.5psi.

You need a regulator.

You only need a fuel pump if you havn't got one at all.

dunova
13-10-04, 08:52 AM
Well the one i've got on there at the moment is just the standard gsi one, but i was going to get a facet red top pump. I know i could just use my standard pump, but what are the advantages of an upgraded pump?

Barn
13-10-04, 05:21 PM
you also need

trumpets, carb fitting kit and linkage

why use the 1400 ignition setup?

I'm sure my 1300 dizzy has got a vacuum advance on it also?

surely the vacuum advance does 'something'...like advance the timing?

I asked why the 1400 setup was 'better' before but with no reply...

dunova
13-10-04, 08:23 PM
Trumpets and linkages are sorted. Was does the fitting kit have in it? Gaskets etc?

Snowface
13-10-04, 10:02 PM
u got 2 optins really for mounting carb's to manifold.

the rubber grommet / o-ring carrier

or the thackery washer/ Misab spacer.

i've tried both. the rubber grommet option is meant to be best as it allows better movment for the carbs to minimise carb sloshing.

Dave
14-10-04, 12:26 AM
i was lead to beleave that all the carbed 1.2, 1.3an 1.4 dizzy's were the same

Snowface
14-10-04, 04:16 PM
1.2 & 1.3 are either delco-remy (ac delco) or bosch.
all others are either Bosch or Lucas.

thats according to haynes.

stevei
14-10-04, 10:10 PM
what jets are people running in their carbed GTE's? As for the fuel pump, shurley the standard one would do the trick if it pumps 50psi and only 3.5psi is needed, the fuel pressure reg can do the rest. also do most people vent the vacum to atmosphere?

ste