PDA

View Full Version : oil leak on turbo and blue smoke

YellowTurbo
07-10-04, 04:03 PM
on my c20let i noticed that oil was leaking from under the engine so i changed the sump gasket and cleaned all the sump up......now a couple of days on i checked and the sump seemed to covered in oil agin, i put it up on the ramp and noticed that the oil is coming from the turbo, looks like it is coming from the pipe that goes from the sump to the bottom of the turbo.....also since doing the sump gasket and realising that the turbo is leaking oil i am getting a lot of blue smoke out of the exhaist could this be related to the oil leak around the turbo?

david dixon
07-10-04, 06:30 PM
Sound like your turbo oil seal has gone or your rings are passing oil through.

YellowTurbo
08-10-04, 11:50 AM
how can i find out which of the two it is, rings or seals?

Stuart
08-10-04, 12:22 PM
a dry, then wet compression check should give you the diagnosis on the rings

im sure there are tests to do with the turbo too but im not aufait with turbos, since they are witch craft lol

YellowTurbo
09-10-04, 06:42 PM
i did a dry compression test today. under the following conditions.

Engine cold, All 4 plugs out while testing.

the readings i got are;

1. 175psi
2. 180psi
3. 180psi
4. 175psi

I dont think this reading is anything to worry about.

i didnt get time to do a wet compression test would this show any other results?

does the above results rule out the the rings are gone?

thanks for everyones help :)

125scouse
10-10-04, 03:38 PM
them compression results sound ok, check the bearing on your turbo as well, take the main air pipe off going to your turbo and see if you have play in the turbine (fan), also take an intercooler pipe off and see if it's full of oil.

if you do a wet test and the readings go up then you know that your rings are shot