PDA

View Full Version : just got a price on seam welding my nova!!!!

Anonymous
02-11-01, 03:07 PM
i just phoned up the bloke who is sand blasting my nova all over and priming it to i asked if he welds also he said yes what did i want done i said seam welding the engine bay and put metal plates in to, he said i do rally cars so u want it like that, yes mate how much he said he can do it for 60 quid. is that a good price?

Anonymous
02-11-01, 03:09 PM
hell yeah!!!! bite his hand off!!!! I was going to be paying around ?350-400 for my car to be straightened and have the welding done and I think Rick draper paid a whole lot more than that aswell(although I think he had alot more done that what I am getting done!)

Garages sticking to their promises???? not likely!!! :(

Anonymous
02-11-01, 03:18 PM
so ur still having probs with the garage? where do u live? would it be to far to travel to essex to get it done?

Anonymous
02-11-01, 03:20 PM
yeah a little really. I am in Stockport near Manchester. I have spoken to a number of other garages in the area and they all sound hopeful about being able to do it, I just need to get it back form the garage it is at at the moment!!! :(

Anonymous
02-11-01, 03:25 PM
cant u just go down there and take it?

Anonymous
02-11-01, 03:27 PM
nope, cos I cant go during the day and he locks the garage at night!! plus trying to get hold of the guy is getting harder and harder!!!
The car is towable(just!!) but it is really dodgy, so I am going to try to hire a trailer or something so that it is easier to transport and then take it to another garage.

Anonymous
02-11-01, 05:38 PM
My garage bloke is spraying up my car and putting new arches on etc etc, shall I ask him to do my seam welding too??
I have been thinking about this, coincidently! But he may take a lot longer to do it all then? But I know he AIN'T gonna charge ?250 -ish ...

Do I still need to buy the kit (strengtheneing plate & what else?) from Harry Hockley Motorsport for ?70?

Anonymous
02-11-01, 07:07 PM
Mine had quite a bit done and i paid quite a lot! John take it to cheadle motorbodies they are very good and they are not to far from you. Plus they will probably pick it up from the garage and drop it off! Rick

They say "good things come to those who wait" and me and John have waited longer than most!

Anonymous
02-11-01, 07:14 PM
I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR ooooh 6 MONTHS, AND ANOTHER 2 MONTHS TO GO, AT LEAST !!!!!!!

meaning I should have the best things then!

Anonymous
03-11-01, 10:22 AM
does seam welding make alot of differnce im building a nova from a shell im buyin soon so shall i get it done while its stripped out. i wont be puttin in a 2.0 for a year but it will save me takin it to pieces at a later date.

also i live in manchester. but i aint waitin thart long for them to do it. why does it take them so long. is it a difficult job or are they just lazy

simon

Anonymous
03-11-01, 06:05 PM
Seam welding is time consuming as they have to makle sure they get all the old seam sealer out else the welds do not make a good joint. Rick

They say "good things come to those who wait" and me and John have waited longer than most!

Anonymous
03-11-01, 09:46 PM
?60???????
That's cheap....maybe too cheap??
It would imply that he is only gonna take less than half a day to do it. It takes ages to get the sealer out so it will weld properly. I aint slagging him off but I would clarify exactly what he is and isn't doing for ?60.

Anonymous
04-11-01, 03:30 PM
Why not get yourself a mig and try welding it yourself....You could hold of a brand new MIG for ?150 and just practice welding old sheets of metal first.

Its not that hard...just needs practice and it'll save ??? if you need to weld anything again

As for the old seam sealer...An angle grinder with a wire brush will shift it in no time;)

Anonymous
04-11-01, 03:42 PM
he is sand blasting the whole car 1st so it will be a peice of piss to get the old sealer out! iam probley getting discount cos of alll the work iam getting done

Anonymous
06-11-01, 01:47 PM
PAG - how much is your bloke charging for the sandblasting n respray? or are you getting the re-spray done somwere else?