PDA

View Full Version : Do your twin 40s stink 'o' petrol?

MechaT
29-09-04, 09:04 PM
Whenever I park up for the night I'll get in the next morning and the cabin smells strongly of petrol. Something to worry about? Or is it that just the wonderful aroma of petrol evaporating from two large fuel bowls?

I love the smell of gas in the morning.

5door_racer
29-09-04, 09:15 PM
I think so, mine stink aswell!!

Jim
29-09-04, 10:12 PM
Mine smell too. I have a garaged attached to the house with a porch in between, whenever i go into the porch I can smell petrol.

Might be worth getting it to a tuners to check your mixture, but i wouldn't worry about it too much.

Jim

Philsutton
30-09-04, 11:45 AM
think it is a twin carb thing mine used to smell of petrol all the time an so did a few others i have seen

Paul
30-09-04, 02:25 PM
mine isnt too ba, but you can smell petrol in the car first thing in the morning.

I noticed this on my old webber too.

Snowface
30-09-04, 02:53 PM
mine do a bit when i get out. Have all you guys got fuel pressure regulators? They are very advisable to use as i found out rather than just the mechanical pump.

Dellorto's want 3ps
Weber 3.5 psi generally.

my mechanical pump off my 1.2 head was pumping at 6-8psi!!

i got a regulator now and am fitting it today.

Meant to help engine start straight away, no overfuelling and much better economy and engine performance.

MechaT
30-09-04, 08:26 PM
:lol: Well that's a weight off my mind!
Might have to check out the fuel pressure then.

johnny27
30-09-04, 11:39 PM
Is every1 using the standard mechincal fuel pump? Is there any advantage or need for a electric one like a facet (sp?) one?

Jim
01-10-04, 11:34 AM
Is every1 using the standard mechincal fuel pump? Is there any advantage or need for a electric one like a facet (sp?) one?

Im using the standard pump. Some people use an aftermarket one.

Jim

johnny27
01-10-04, 12:59 PM
I'm just wondering because, when my car is ticking over and you suddenly floor the throttle it sorta splutters for a sec and then shoots on up the revs. I thinking it may be the pump, because the carbs are properly set up, and run fine all through out the rev range and the ignition timing is fine also. Any ideas?

Snowface
01-10-04, 02:37 PM
as i said the standard mechanical pump is way too high pressure, over nearly three times too much.

I was told Dellorto's in particular are very sensitive to pressure.

Weber = 3.5psi,
Dellorto = 3 psi.

johnny27
01-10-04, 02:44 PM
Where did you buy your regulator, was it expensive? Cheers.

Snowface
01-10-04, 03:57 PM
?25 from burton power, it also doubles as a fuel filter.

m.d.
01-10-04, 04:28 PM
im using the red top facet pump with a regulator and it still stinks of petrol all the time, just carbs for ya really

johnny27
01-10-04, 07:55 PM
did you see any difference in performance with the facet pump compared to the std pump?

MechaT
01-10-04, 08:15 PM
I'm just wondering because, when my car is ticking over and you suddenly floor the throttle it sorta splutters for a sec and then shoots on up the revs. I thinking it may be the pump, because the carbs are properly set up, and run fine all through out the rev range and the ignition timing is fine also. Any ideas?

Much more likely that it's not jetted correctly. Hve you had them dyno'd and rejetted? Have adjusted the idle mixture properly? Either that or the pump jet levers are incorrectly adjusted.

Mine runs smoothly on standard pump.

Snowface
01-10-04, 09:02 PM
could be accelerator pump jets being too large.

johnny27
01-10-04, 09:58 PM
Idle mixture settings are spot on, adjusted on a carb balancing tool. I don't really understand much about the webber circuits, very complicated for me. However carbs were previously run on a 1300 engine, standard fuel pump and in a very simlar state of tune to mine. I know this is'nt near accurate enough, but the engine pulls very well through out the entire rev range up to 8500rpm, and the mixture is very well balanced, even down low the engine is'nt running rich and no flat spots and the only hesistion (sp?) is that i said is when idiling and suddenly flooring the boot which is just annoying and dose'nt happen when driving. Any ideas on a particular jet(s) needing replaced? Rolling roads and guy's doing dynos are like hen's teeth where i live, nearest being about 100mile away, altough when new engine is fitted it will be essential to get there.

Snowface
02-10-04, 10:51 AM
like i said, it sounds very much like the accelerator pump jets are not right.

They could be dumping too much fuel thus giving you a hesitation where its bogging down.

m.d.
02-10-04, 06:17 PM
mine does this and its down to a sticky pump jet linkage. on mine its on the bottom of the carbs (i have dellortos) looks like an arm with a spring on it that moves when you accelerate, the gum up and need cleaning occasionally, i think on webers its under the lid by where the jets are fitted, large flat head to remove it,

Snowface
03-10-04, 11:31 PM
weber's accelerator arm's are inside the body of the carb i think. they arn't visible on most of them from the outside.