PDA

View Full Version : Skimmed Head

NOVA_GTEUK
29-09-04, 06:01 PM
What does this do and i got a 1.4 sr is it gonna make any diffrence ?

Just im not that clever with all technical stuff lol im a bit dumb lol

Thanx 8)

saloonboy
29-09-04, 06:24 PM
As far as i know heads are only usually skimmed when some damage has been done to the head i.e. it has bent slightly due to overheating,

You have to be carsful what heads you skim as some heads are built with valves that open very close to the pistons, therefore if u skim these too much the valves will hit the piston causing damage.

The only advantage i can think of is higher compression but i doubt this is worth it for the costs involved, there will only be a minimal increase in compression!

burgo
29-09-04, 09:02 PM
you can skim the head to increase the compretion ratio. cambridge has gone extreme with his, im sure he'll give you a pic if you ask nicely. as saloonboy said though youve gotta be very careful how much you take of it.

CP
29-09-04, 11:02 PM
There's 2 sorts of skimming really - there's the ordinary skim which is just a few thou off to get the head squared up and good order following a head gasket change for example - no more off than necessary basically. This has no noticeable effect on CR or power. The other skim isnt a skim at all really as you will be taking a lot more off to increase the CR and thus the power. As said above this needs to be done properly. Best to let an experienced engineer/engine builder who prepares competition engines do this as there is some important maths involved as well as the practicalities of valves hitting pistons, fuel RON etc etc which they will have taken the time and trouble to find out. In any event you will probably need to deck the block as well as machine the head to get it all to work out ok.

Stuart
30-09-04, 08:19 AM
with reference to an engineer skim mines had nearly 2mm taken off it lol

NOVA_GTEUK
30-09-04, 04:34 PM
Well theres a garage in swansea that will do it for ?35,
Just wanna know if its gonna make any diffrence to my nova 1.4 sr ?
Is it gonna make much diffrence and is it worth it ?

johnny27
30-09-04, 04:48 PM
would'nt think its gonna make any noticeable difference, not worth it alone. Though it works well with a proper gasflowed head (ported, polished,bench tested) so you would see a quite noticeable difference in power.

-Bruce-
30-09-04, 05:06 PM
i would say you wont see much of a gain!! unless you get as describe by cp a proper performance skim from a performance engine builder.
as the gain you get from incressed comp from the head skim, will be lost as you will loose all the carbon deposits from the combustion camber!! so you prob wont even notice!!

bruce