PDA

View Full Version : GTE 22 spline drive shafts?

Glytch
29-09-04, 05:07 PM
Just been speaking to my local scrappy, was looking for the GTE 22 spline shafts. He reckons that all the nova shafts are 22 spline?

Are the shafts them selves splined or just the bit goes through the hub?

And when i get my hands on the correct shafts, how the s**t do you put the cavvy inner CV's on em?

----------------------------------------------------
Anybody know how to, or got any pics of power boost valce on a gte/gsi

m.d.
29-09-04, 06:45 PM
thats what the scrappy said to me but they lie. i needed to change my outer cv for my mot so i got a 1.3sr shaft from the scrappy as i thaught the outer cvs were all the same. when i got it home i found that it was only 20 spilnes. bugger.

its only the gte ones that were 22 so you will have to get him to look

Glytch
29-09-04, 08:35 PM
What I dont understand though is where are the splines?

are they the grooves in the end of the shaft that grip the hubs and make the wheels turn?

If that's the case, why cant i just use my GSI ones?

and if the gearbox is an f20 (by the way, what gearbox is likely to be in an Astra GSI?) why is it only a mk2 1600 cavalier that fits?

Is it just the case the combination of the two make the shafts the correct length to make the fit?

Riggy
29-09-04, 08:36 PM
to change the inner cvs for the cav jobbies

pull the rbber boot back and under all the grease the will be a circlip holding them together so you need a pair of circlip pliers then undo it and remove it then fit the cav ones with a good push to make sure the circlip clips back in :D

mowgli
29-09-04, 09:22 PM
If you are having trouble getting the right bits, ask your local motor factors to look them up in their master catalogue, if they can't/won't find out, then ask them for their suppliers' technical dept phone no.

Glytch
29-09-04, 09:58 PM
Cheers for the help fellas, I grinded through the driveshafts of the 1.2 to stop the wheels falling off when the engine was out. Took me ages.

Tried grinding through the cv joint as well, dint see no circlip. Will have to look harder next time.

Tell u though, even that 1.2 shaft was a b**ch to get through!

-------------------------

Still though, no ones been able to help us out with the boost valve, aint none of youz ever fitted one? :|

--------------------------

Glytch
29-09-04, 10:36 PM
you need to look for the shafts from a nova gte or gsi and remove the inner cv joint from the shafts. then you need to count the amount of splines that are there. if its 22 splines then these shafts can be used with mk2 1.6 cavy inner cv joints to make a set of 2lt shafts. the cavy inner cv joints you need are Part Co part number TDL3051R. go into any part co dealer and they can supply these cv joints for 35 quid a peice
Is this true? can i use my GSI ones? Guess it makes sense to go out and get the cavvy ones first.
But if anybody's tried it with GSI ones let us know, it save me the hassle of learning the hardway.

rednova
29-09-04, 11:33 PM
when i was converting my 1.2 into a 1.6 gte, I was told that I needed gte shafts - i thought presumably the gearbox ends were different - however i checked them against each other and there was no difference so just put the 1.2 shafts back in as id left them in the hubs.

burgo
29-09-04, 11:37 PM
it is the actual shaft that has the 22 splines not the cv joint, hence why the cv looked the same

_JH_
29-09-04, 11:47 PM
when i was converting my 1.2 into a 1.6 gte, I was told that I needed gte shafts - i thought presumably the gearbox ends were different - however i checked them against each other and there was no difference so just put the 1.2 shafts back in as id left them in the hubs.

true, but thats not what he's doing, he needs to put them into a different gearbox to the nova ones.

the confusion as to the splines is people get confused which splines it is. its the ones on the drive shaft itself, and the respective holes they go into in the CVs. the scrappy probably didn't understand what you meant.

you need to look for the shafts from a nova gte or gsi and remove the inner cv joint from the shafts. then you need to count the amount of splines that are there. if its 22 splines then these shafts can be used with mk2 1.6 cavy inner cv joints to make a set of 2lt shafts. the cavy inner cv joints you need are Part Co part number TDL3051R. go into any part co dealer and they can supply these cv joints for 35 quid a peice
Is this true? can i use my GSI ones? Guess it makes sense to go out and get the cavvy ones first.
But if anybody's tried it with GSI ones let us know, it save me the hassle of learning the hardway.

No matter what car the shafts come off, gte/gsi/diesel/1.2/sr, the only way you will know is by removing the inner CV and counting the splines.

novas are old, chances are it will have had problems with CV joints by now. swapping a whole shaft is easier than changin a CV when you consider breakers normally sell the complete shaft only, so quite often a GTE may have one or both shafts from a 1.2, same goes for a 1.2, it may have GTE items.

Ste_Nova
30-09-04, 10:26 AM
i've used sri and gsi items.... on one sri it had one 22 shaft and one non 22 :lol:

what breakers did u go to Glytch?

Glytch
30-09-04, 07:45 PM
Went to Aberconwy Auto breakers (the brickworks) in Llandudno Junction,
Tried Arch motors In Llandudno,
Mathews Auto salvage on Angelesey
megavaux
dixons vauxhall spares
and the vauxhall breakers in Saltney

No joy with any
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that perhaps the ones on my GSI'll do. I'll phone that scrappy and tell him the splines are on the shafts and the only way to tell is by removing the cv's. (Cheers Blue Steel!)

P.S. anyone know how to fit a boost valve?
http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=390841#390841

[/url]

Ste_Nova
30-09-04, 07:57 PM
brickworks are rip off....
arch are shit
roadrunners are good.... but only for new stuff

tryed flint speed in holywell.... i'll be down there on sat or sun if u wanna tag along

Glytch
30-09-04, 08:27 PM
http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=391029#391029
Cheers Ste