PDA

View Full Version : ARGH bloody EGR

rodgerq
29-09-04, 12:02 AM
ive been havng this recurring fault code that keep scomin up as the EGR on my H plate nova gsi. its got to a point now where the fuel consumption is lower than it usued to be and sometimes under acceleration its very very hesitant, you can actually feel it pulling back, then goin, then pulling back.....

now what can i do to remedy this? fit a new one perhaps? i have taken the vacuum feed off to see if that helps but its just the same :x :x and its startin to bug me now.

at the end of the month im doin a 400 mile round trip and i want it fixed by then as the fuel consumption for a 1.6 is just not on!!

so what can i do then? would a new egr fix the problem? anyone got one?

cheers

rodgerq

Will F
29-09-04, 09:35 AM
Take it all off! It sucks.

robb
29-09-04, 10:53 AM
Mine does that when cold, it will be fine if you don't open the throttle (keeping revs low though as it is cold) but if you just open to full it will pick up and then just back off and run badly, almost sounding like a flat four lol.

Stuart
29-09-04, 11:30 AM
Take it all off! It sucks.

to be fair EGR blows as opposed to sucks :p

Will F
29-09-04, 12:42 PM
I guess you would know Camb! :wink:

rodgerq
29-09-04, 05:00 PM
cheers for the replies guys. its ok sayin to me to rip it off, but i dont know how it comes off or what parts need to be removed to get rid of it.

and if i do remove it from the manifold, wil it stop throwing this fault code at me every time i wanna give it a bit of stick?

cheers

rodgerq

retrosi
29-09-04, 05:42 PM
whenever we get a fault with an egr in the garage we replace it but it is possible to clean is with carb cleaner such as One Shot, since the egr is just a solenoid you must ensure it fully opens and closes. The option of cleaning it wil prevent the management light coming on and need to be reset ( if your car has one). But yes they do BLOW. If your wondering what their purpose is, it is to reduce emissions of NOx gases, so ensure your car is running clean b4 it's next MOT.

rodgerq
29-09-04, 05:55 PM
cheers for that mate. as i say i have pulled the vacuum off it and plugged it up so as to disable the valve. ill reattach it and give it a good clean to see if i can get it to run better. ive got a mate with a couple spare engines sittin so i can get one off him if need be

rodgerq