PDA

View Full Version : van rear windows

benji
28-09-04, 09:14 PM
just wondering if you can put glass in the back of a van instead of the metal panels? would the it take the rubbers if you cut out thr metal?

cheers

ben.

General Baxter
28-09-04, 09:16 PM
i think you have to cut them out!

burgo
28-09-04, 10:49 PM
i thought they were just bonded and spot welded in in which case its easy to do

benji
28-09-04, 11:57 PM
i'm pretty sure i would have to cut them out, what i want to know is if the window rubbers would fit in the gap that is left or would it be different

burgo
28-09-04, 11:58 PM
yes they would fit as long as your cutting is spot on

m.d.
29-09-04, 06:55 PM
they will fit as the rubbers will cover up any defects you have, also you will need to bond the rubbers in or you will get leaks

dathers
30-09-04, 12:56 AM
You will also have to tell your insurance as you have now changed it from a van to a car.
Dave

benji
30-09-04, 02:05 AM
it will still be a van, it'll just have back windows but no seat's

dathers
30-09-04, 03:43 AM
Id still tell the insurance,its a major body mod.
Also depends what the law says a van and car is,fitting windows may make it a car.
Either way,fit windows and have a claim,they may refuse if you havent told them

gary_1.2Merit
30-09-04, 11:19 AM
so what if i fit mirror tints to me back windows, will that make it classed as a van? i think i remember some one on here sayin that it would.

Jim
30-09-04, 11:59 AM
Tinting your windows wont make it a Van. It's classed as a Van because it has no rear windows. I think Insurance companies seperate the two because its easier to break through a glass window than it is through the metal. Also, with a Van, there will only be 2 occupants, which reduces the number of people that could make a claim if you were to have/be involved in an accident.

Benji, I have no seats in the back of mine, and all brackets removed so that theres no chance of seats going back in there, but it's still classed as a car.

Exaplin to the Insurance company that you've done it to improve visability and that you will only be having 2 seats in the car, but DO tell them that you've replaced the rear windows with glass. Imagine how annoyed you'd be if they broke into your car through one of the rear windws and you had to make a claim :|

Jim

benji
30-09-04, 08:55 PM
it will be a pure track car, for a mate, not deffinatly getting a van but it would be another option when looing for a shell

m.d.
01-10-04, 04:38 PM
deffo a worthy option. what does the floor pan of a nova van look like, is it flat or does it just look like a normal nova without back seats and a cover over the wheel well

Dod
05-10-04, 06:46 PM
I've just converted my Nova into a Van to save on insurance. Over here the law states the rear windows must be replaced with a solid, nontransparent material, all rear seats, fittings, seat belts ect must be removed and the footwells covered over. I simply took the foam and material off the back seat, folded it down flat and painted it the same colour as the car, it flew through the engineers report!!