PDA

View Full Version : gear linkage

xX NoVaBoY Xx
27-09-04, 11:27 PM
my car has started to grind into second gear someone said reset the gear linkage and it will be fine as it was ok a few weeks back but how do i reset the gear linkage?????

oggy
27-09-04, 11:30 PM
take it to a garage and get them to look at it mate,

Dod
27-09-04, 11:47 PM
I've been told similar. My Novas only ever covered 55000 genuine miles and i'm told the gear linkage, the gear lever and even the wee ball it goes into needs replacing. Sickener!! Are they hard to remove?? :|

-Bruce-
27-09-04, 11:50 PM
my first thought would be the oil used in the box not the linkage. if its crunching. or the syncro on 2nd has broke some how??

as for the linkage, the ball does not need replacing its the plastic bush that it sitts in that will be worn!! and they are not hard to re-new or replace.

bruce

Stuart
28-09-04, 08:16 AM
renew the gear oil first.

if when you drain it its all glittery (goldy colour) then youve got a naffed baulk ring. which is a strip down (or another cluster) job, its not hard provided youve got a copper happer and a long set of pullers, and a methodical approach to things.

if the oil is cleanish then just refil with 1.8-2.0 litres of oil to get it all properly lubed up again.

oh and if your feeling keen reset the linkage too just incase

Dod
28-09-04, 03:54 PM
I've an arm in a cast here so I cant do a thing, so I'm Leaving it to the mechanic, but at least when i get the parts I'll be able to repaint them so my car'll look nice on its roof!! :D