PDA

View Full Version : inlet manifold for a gte

Steve Sumpy
27-09-04, 07:51 PM
Hi. first of all thanks for accepting my registration.
I am putting a nova GTE engine into an Astra and i want to retain the carb set up. As you know the GTE has round inlet ports and the bog standard Astra has the little square ones. Is there any carb manifold i could use that has round ports?
The other thing is the GTE head has a hole right through the middle connecting to an exhaust valve chamber (number 2 if i remember correctly), any idea what this is for? as it is blanked off on the old astra head. Can it be blanked off as well ? thanks

stiller_uk
27-09-04, 09:49 PM
U can use the inlet from a 1.3 8v nova/astra engine.

This will then allow u 2 run the pierburg 2e3 carb or get a weber 32/34.

Snowface
28-09-04, 04:39 PM
1.3 doesn't have square inlet ports.

i'm not sure but a 1.4sr inlet manifold might match cause they have small square ports.

_JH_
28-09-04, 06:26 PM
if the engine has square ports its most likely a single point injection, can look very similar to a carb engine just by opening the bonnet.

As stiller said, a 1.3 nova 8v manifold would be the closest match. there will be a slight step up from the bottom of the manifold runner to the port on the head but this won't cause major problems and will aid the mixture, if you have the money though get the manifold matched to the head. it will involve adding material to the manifold, commonly by welding, and smoothing it out to the same size/shape. (i'm sure mr gault will come and disagree with all that shortly)

and yes, blank it off.

Snowface
28-09-04, 06:48 PM
why not use the already square ports on a 1.4 manifold and not hassle with welding then?

Fester
28-09-04, 07:03 PM
Was there a small block 1.6 used in the Astra SR and some Cavaliers?

No help if you already have the engine I suppose lol.

nova_rally
28-09-04, 07:52 PM
I'm going to be machining out 1.4SR inlet manifold to fit a C14SE engine soon, shouldnt be that difficult I dont think. Adding aterial to the 1.3SR inlet would be better but not as easy!

Steve Sumpy
30-09-04, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. As you say a trip down to the welders should fill them up ports up nicely for reshaping