PDA

View Full Version : Heres the deal..

t0m
27-09-04, 07:14 PM
You will probably wonder where I am heading with this at first, but read on please and any help will be appreciated.

I have been given a Metro Sport (Contradiction in terms surely). I want to scrap it and buy a Nova. Now, I would be on a tight budget insurance wise so modding would have to be subtle yet effective anyway...

Firstly, what is a Mk1 and a Mk2, and what is necessarily better. I.e in my local paper there was a F Reg Nova 1.2 with 4 months M.o.T and Tax for ?75. This is good right? Basically I wanna know what to buy and what is cheapest and easiest to get bits for etc.

I'm guessing Mk1 Nova's are older right? Does that mean buying would limit it's life span in comparison to a Mk2? Does it make it any less moddable? Any links/advice/pictures/information anything is most appreciated but I'm kinda torn as to what to do and would like to get proceedings done by Christmas so I can work on it in the new year.

Also I am 17 with a pants job money wise so suggesting a 2.0l 16v jobby isn't funny to be honest, I've had all the jokes off my mates already saying "Oh get a Lotus hahaha" yeh hilarious. I want something with cheap Tax and insurance, so I'm guessing a 1.0 or a 1.2?

Thanks, Tom.

wisewood
27-09-04, 07:20 PM
anything under a 1.5 will be cheaper tax ... not sure on the exact cc but its 15xx anyway.

A 1.0 would be best from an insurance perspective, but the power ofa 1.2 would be better... much better than the 1.0... and also can be greatly improved later.

It would be best to buy a car that is reliable and as rot free as possible... ?75 is very cheap and probably falling apart.

Mods are best left alone as if you dont declare them to the insurance company you void your policy, and if you do declare them it'll cost you a lot more to insure the car... Best to just get something cheap as a run around for at least 12 months while you get some no claims discount.

Phil_G
27-09-04, 07:46 PM
taxwise the barrier is 1550cc

iirc...

the 106 narrowly dodges that at 1527cc... lol....

Phil

Mel
27-09-04, 09:57 PM
All nova parts are cheap, when found at a scrapyard. Plenty of nova's in there, but second hand stuff is always relatively cheap as well.

MK1 has a square front grill & headlights, and a "square" type dash. It has orange indicators also.

MK2 has round grill, headlights etc, and rounder,more upgraded dash.

yes, mk1's are older (and better imo lol) :wink: but, both mk1 and mk2 have their own "rust prone" sections. If you look about long/hard enough, you will find a clean-ish one that wont cost too much to repair. Generally speaking, as long as its been looked after, a mk1 can last just as long as the mk2.

both marks are easily modded. i have been driving an almost standard 1.2, just because the insurance is too high for anything more. any mods will shove the premium up, so think about driving it about standard for a year, but both look good lowered, and with a set of alloys on :wink:

IMO, mk1 is better, as the square-ness suits the lines of the nova, but it really depends on the individual. Best to take a look at some of the feature cars, see which you prefer, then go from there.

Enough ramble, tho. g'luck, and let us know what you decide on :)

t0m
28-09-04, 06:34 PM
Cool, thanks Mel. Quick question though, at what Registration does a Nova become a Mk2.

i.e Whats the earliest Mk2 Reg-wise. Thanks.

wisewood
28-09-04, 06:37 PM
I think it was H plate... you can tell the difference easily - the rear bumper is different, the headlights, front grill and front bumper are different and the dash is different.

Philsutton
28-09-04, 06:40 PM
they change around about 1992 which H-J reg i think

Fester
28-09-04, 06:49 PM
1990 Phil lol come on!

I used to prefer the mk1 but now reckon they can both be just as good, it would be easier to make the mk2 look smart imo as well.

Try and seek out a 1.2 like a 'Swing' or similar 'special addition', they have a few extra niceties on there. All you really need then exterior wise is a second-hand set of 15" Vauxhall wheels e.g. 5-spoke Tigra style (sorry can't remember what the name for them is), some lowering springs (?60 new?) and a decent looking exhaust backbox (stay subtle, 3.5" or something). Get rid of all the bump strips, stickers etc from the exterior and there you have a smart looking Nova.

http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/1603big.jpg

Just nicked that from the gallery, it's not my car but that's what I'm trying to describe :)

Ultimately just do what YOU want and not other people.

Philsutton
28-09-04, 06:54 PM
i aint really on the ball at the moment, 1992 is the year of my car :lol:

Will
30-09-04, 11:32 PM
1.2 sting G,H reg in white mk1

everything that an SR has except the front bumper and engine, e.g. sr spoiler, seats and dash!

funky

best cars ever!

robb
01-10-04, 10:15 AM
Just noticed and it is completely off topic but someone go to Phil Suttons house, free him from the mad french gun weilding croissant eater and change his sig back.

dan_mk1
01-10-04, 12:22 PM
Just like to say its nice to see a newby who can actually spell/string a sentence together!! good stuff! lol!

t0m
01-10-04, 12:49 PM
You referring to me when you use the term "newby". If so the reason why I can string a sentence together is largely because I attained an A at A-level English Literature so to be perfectly honest it's how I'm used to writing, even if most people on MSN do find it hard to comprehend grammatically correct text.

By the way, also thanks for the help guys.

Fester
01-10-04, 01:00 PM
Hellacious.

Stuart
01-10-04, 01:12 PM
oooh some one to give lessons to burgo!!! :)

Mel
01-10-04, 01:19 PM
That's Andy's job :wink:

Back to topic. Have you decided which you prefer?

BTW: Mk1's are the future :)

Philsutton
01-10-04, 01:38 PM
Just noticed and it is completely off topic but someone go to Phil Suttons house, free him from the mad french gun weilding croissant eater and change his sig back.
Its starting to piss me off now, plus i fear i'll never be able to say anything abusive about french cars as it will be changed into an extremely gay quote

t0m
01-10-04, 01:46 PM
Well I've seen the interior of one Mk.1 Nova and it was an awful brown colour like something American and from the 70's so if they are all like that I don't know.

novaboy1981
01-10-04, 02:29 PM
although not all the mk1 dash's were brown they certainly were that slab-shape! if you prefer the mk1 exterior you could always swap the interior for a mk2? just a thought!
as for mods, not all are frowned upon by the insurers....mine has a filter and exhaust, and a decent set of alloys and it hasnt changed the premium.

andy

mark_GSi
01-10-04, 04:51 PM
mk2's are the future!! :wink:

Mel
01-10-04, 08:16 PM
Mark! typo.

MK1..mark ONE's are the future :P

Riggy
01-10-04, 08:43 PM
lol i was a mk1 man untill i went and mk2 mine lol inside and out but im building a mk1 sr now with my mate and its growin on me again lol :D

Mel
01-10-04, 08:55 PM
wooo---^ i want pics :lol:

you know it makes sence :)

but, have the best of both worlds. mk1 exterior & mk2 dash/interior :wink:

Riggy
01-10-04, 09:05 PM
quick pic for you
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/riggy4/general/IM000090.jpg

i will get a front pic tomorrow with the front end on :D

Mel
01-10-04, 09:18 PM