PDA

View Full Version : my back wheel snapped off!!!!

parrington21
27-09-04, 05:21 PM
i kept hearing real high pitched squeeky noise coming from my back wheel and didnt think anything of it, and last week i was just coming out of my girl friends road and about 20 foot from her drive my whees just jammed and it wouldnt go forward anymore....so i got her to run back to her house and get her dad, who cam out and managed to reverse it back to her house and as he was going on to there drive we herd a big snap and the back hub had snapped off with the wheel still atached. we jacked it up and the wheel just fell to the floor, when taking it apart we found out the baring had broke and where i had been driving it had got so hot it welded itself to the **whatever its called** and we couldnt get it apart, so had to but a new courner and swap it over, was i nightmare!!! so theres a lesson to anyonw who has put big wheels on the nova and not put new barings in!!!!

smithy87
27-09-04, 06:54 PM
In front of your bird aswell...... :o

burgo
27-09-04, 07:05 PM
no the lesson is dont ignore the squeeking

sh0rty
27-09-04, 10:50 PM
At least it didn't come off whilst you were driving it! Think I posted here on someone elses post, that I was driving down the road...steering felt a little weird so i slowed up intending to get out and have a look...

mad sparks in my mirror
fell about a foot to the floor one side
and a wheel flies past me
back left wheel had come off rofl

bearing had gone or something. S**t me up no end though, and the car behind me just drove off :evil:

Dave
27-09-04, 11:24 PM
no the lesson is dont ignore the squeeking

the man is right :lol:

how long was it squeeking for before it fell off?

LukeManic
28-09-04, 10:39 AM
eek, sorry to here about that m8 :?

I've got 16" speedlines on mine, got me worried now - you think I should replace the bearings?

I took my centre caps off the other day and found out that most of my wheel nuts had worked there way loose :(

Dave
28-09-04, 11:31 AM
unless there is a whining noise coming from your hub i wouldn't worry too much

Dod
28-09-04, 04:08 PM
As we say over here, "Never worry man, Hold her at it til you hear BANG!!" :twisted:

parrington21
28-09-04, 04:48 PM
i would advise anyone to change all original barings if bigger wheels are going on, my cousing had 15's and has to change the barings loads of times, it was squeeking for wite a while (hehe) its a car u expect squeeks!!!

Mike.
28-09-04, 05:54 PM
not good :o

burgo
28-09-04, 10:16 PM
i would advise anyone to change all original barings if bigger wheels are going on, my cousing had 15's and has to change the barings loads of times, it was squeeking for wite a while (hehe) its a car u expect squeeks!!!

he must of got the off-set majorly wrong, or had big spacers. bearings dont just give up because of slightly bigger wheels

Jules
28-09-04, 11:51 PM

he must of got the off-set majorly wrong, or had big spacers. bearings dont just give up because of slightly bigger wheels

Burgo is correct - twice in one thread!!
:lol:

burgo
28-09-04, 11:54 PM

Burgo is correct - twice in one thread!!
:lol:

i think ill go and have a rest now then lol :wink:

Dod
29-09-04, 03:23 PM
What, just put on new standard barings or do you uprate them or use bigger ones off a bigger VX?

parrington21
30-09-04, 04:48 PM
yeah i got the wheels off a cav not sure on offset but they fitted got 10mm spacers on back wheels. mght have to get spinners sooon so there will be no need for the 10mm spacers if it is the offset!

Chris
30-09-04, 05:50 PM
bearing weld themselves to the stub axles when they have been overtightened as they are put under strain, causing excessive heat and the welding. When I do them I always keep tightening very steady, and keep checking them for play until there is no play whatsoever then back them off just a touch so they have minimal play, then you know that they haven't been overtightened, then just put your split pin in and check them every time you service it (which should be done anyway)

Chris

clawsk
30-09-04, 06:13 PM
Exactly the same thing happened to me, but i was doin 90mph on the bypass!!

The bearin had been overtightened. I still have the stub at home with the bearin welded on to it. When me and my mate got out the car, the wheel was 20 yards down the road and the stub was glowing orange.

Same thing happened to my mate but his bearing had failed and he hadnt noticed until the back wheel kept locking up, luckilly we found the prob before he went down the bypass!

Cost me over ?300 to get sorted. that was includin payin twice for recovery thanks to the Police. :twisted: