PDA

View Full Version : mk1 dash to mk2 dash help!!!!!!! ASAP

dooooney
27-09-04, 05:17 PM
:?: does any onw no how to to a dash conversion :?: what parts do i need to buy and will it be easy and do i need to do any electrical modding as i want out with the mk 1 shity dash :evil: if any help will be cool as i need this to be answed asap as the mk2 will not stay in the scrap long :cry:

:Pmy car:P
http://www.novaload.net/features/viewfeature.php?ref=1942

chears dooooney :lol:

dan-hipgrave
27-09-04, 05:40 PM
its a pretty easy conversion mate, and there are plenty of guides on the net - try www.nova-land.com

You will need to get the dash (obviously) and all ancilliaries - like the heater vents, clocks, surrounds etc, and also get all the plugs behind the dash, and a few inches of the loom attached to the plugs. Also get the heater cables as these are different on a mk2 dash.

Wiring it all up is basically colour for colour matching and is easy - just strip and solder the wires together with a bit of heatshrink over the top..

Glytch
28-09-04, 11:43 PM
Not done a conversion my self but have removed both from cars.

Far as i can see the cables from the heater controls are the same (expect for the plastic fastenings which just snap off) But if Dan says they are different then he must know what he's talking about. I'm just going by memory.

U'll need to make sure that you get the plastic ducting from the blower to the center fans cos that's different.

dooooney
29-09-04, 07:46 AM
chears do i need to re do the the speedo clocks cables and lights ?

Philsutton
29-09-04, 09:24 AM
chears do i need to re do the the speedo clocks cables and lights ?
yes the dials are different for mk1 an mk2

dooooney
29-09-04, 08:21 PM
ok so do i just coluor cod the spedo to the new 1

Glytch
29-09-04, 08:38 PM
Soon as i get the dash out my GSI, I'll let you know exactly what the wires are.

dan-hipgrave
29-09-04, 09:21 PM
yeh the speedo wires are colour for colour mate, only the speedo cable itself doesnt need to be changed..

dooooney
30-09-04, 07:36 AM
chears all now i herd that there is a bolt that goes to the floor is it totaly nessesary :?: or can i just leave it and would this be the time to do the digi sash conversion :?:

Glytch
30-09-04, 08:12 AM
There was always going to be some work involved.

WHo ever told you that there is a screw that goes to the floor was correct. It fixes the dash to the center panel just behind the center console. Just hard to do this ur self. Soon as i get bak from college tonight I'll send u pics.

Far as all the other mounting points go, they look the same. Cant say for definate but there are two 10 or 8 mm nuts holding it to the bulkhead that look the same as a mk1 and there are two screws either side of the dash, the ones u have to open the doors to get to, the same as the mk1.

I really cant see it being that hard to be honest mate

Glytch
30-09-04, 08:41 PM
Here's my mk2 with dash out, u can see where the screw goes in the center.
http://www.ballandboyd.co.uk/glyn/new%20project%20interior.jpg

Ive the got the complete wiring loom for the car as well if u want it.
Its out of a 1.2 merit[/url]

dooooney
01-10-04, 07:40 AM
um yea if i can get some from the cars at the scrap ill buy it off you so ill ceep you in touch

dooooney
02-10-04, 12:53 PM
i got my mjk 2 dash today in exelent condition
can sombody give me a guide 2 doing it as got all the heater matrix and things and i got cable i saw this silver thing under the dash that had all the wires going in to it i did not grab it do i actualy need it?
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

chears all for the help[/img]

dan-hipgrave
02-10-04, 01:45 PM
Go to www.nova-land.com and look under how to guides, internal modifications and its in there mate.

Dunno what the silver thing could be, maybe an alarm or something.

I didnt have anything else with mine apart from dash + ancilliaries, clocks, heater ducting and cables and plugs and loom, so you should be able to get the job done with what you have got.

dooooney
02-10-04, 03:32 PM
ive got that guid but it lells you nothing

dan-hipgrave
02-10-04, 04:10 PM
What else do you need to know mate..

-Wiring is basically colour for colour matching
-Dash bolts into the same holes as your original one
-Heater cables connect up to the side of the heater matrix as per the original ones
-Centre console will screw into the floor - there will be a hole already for it even if you didnt have one originally like me - just feel around the carpet and there will be a section of underlay missing - cut the carpet out there and thats where the hole will be for the console.
-Rear wash/wipe was originally a button on the dash, it is now on the stalks so the wiring for this will have to be moved to the stalk, i think thats included in the guide you have..

Not much else i can think of really mate, the job itself isnt that hard, for me the hardest part was getting the steering wheel off.

dooooney
02-10-04, 08:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/dooooney/IMG_0097.jpg
my mk2 dash thnxs 2 my scrappy 10 pounds

dooooney
02-10-04, 08:33 PM
what does the heater matrix look like so that i no i got all the stuff

dooooney
02-10-04, 08:55 PM
is now the time i shound do the digy dash conversion as well?/ :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: