PDA

View Full Version : 2.016v OR gte brakes help please

madcodling
25-09-04, 06:24 PM
hi as above ibe got a set of 2.0 16v disks and calipers but also i have a set of gte vented and grooved disks and calipers

what ones would be best for my valver

please let me know

-Bruce-
25-09-04, 06:27 PM
the 16v breaks will be better mate!! simple fit them

bruce

madcodling
25-09-04, 07:48 PM
ok ill keep it in mind i just wanna be sure what to fit before i do anthing

Philsutton
25-09-04, 10:51 PM
nova brakes are shocking, go for the 2lt ones

5door_racer
26-09-04, 03:23 AM
yer go for the 2ltr one's. standard nova brakes scare me!!!

burgo
26-09-04, 02:43 PM
standard brakes make it more interesting lol, and make u wonder if ur gonna get round the next corner.

its all gd fun :twisted:

Gunzi
28-09-04, 11:58 AM
GTE bakes were better than SR ones, but the calipers are prone to locking (happened to me twice) so I ditched them for the 16v brakes, which are much better!

Barn
28-09-04, 12:23 PM
i can vouch for this setup...

really impressive over the standard sh*t that was taken off!

Once my pads are warmed up.... :D

Nick
28-09-04, 01:52 PM
Yer the 2.0 brakes are very impressive, but like everything, you get used to them after a while. I think mine r crap now ! need something more powerfull

Dar
28-09-04, 02:29 PM
Defo the 2l ones with out a doubt. You can also put the bigger break servo in as well. Its about 220mm across IIRC. That's if you haven't got that one in already.

You can also put DOT 5 break fluid in (if break fade becomes a problem due to fluid boiling)

After that I found that the standard pad's disintergrate with heavy use.

Mintex pads work well and they haven't let me down yet.

Philsutton
28-09-04, 02:39 PM
they are good brakes for speeds below about 100 above that even the 2lt ones become a bit scary, ive had a few scary moments where they didnt want to stop. I think im gonna go for V6 ones next

Al Wilson
28-09-04, 02:46 PM
2 16V, although if the rears are done also they have the habit of locking sometimes under pressure. If you have the money go for after market ones. 4-pots etc.

Dar
28-09-04, 03:09 PM
Never had problems with mine over 100mph. Mine are fine all the way from 130mph and thats heavy breaking.

However all heavy use from my point of view has been done on the track and not on the roads, so maybe thats where the difference lies. Tracks are way nicer surfaces than roads.

Philsutton
28-09-04, 03:14 PM
Very true mine doesnt tend to skip across the road as they s**t, on the track ive never had a problem either to be honest

Glytch
29-09-04, 02:38 PM
I found the same to, when i went from an SR to a GSI I was well chuffed with the braking performance, but like you said, I'm getting bored with them now and need something more.

My GSI ones are a pain in the ass for brake dust as well, I only have to drive from one end of town to the other and my wheels are black. Dunno how there's anything left of the pads.

Just about to buy an Astra GSI for the xe so brakes will be coming off that soon, I'll wait to get bored of them first before fitting bigger ones i think.

robb
29-09-04, 04:45 PM
My mate has just bought a GSi and it has the 2l calipers on but the discs look far too small to be 2l discs, look like GSi GTE ones. That stands on it's nose, I am running GSi crap and they are shite, one day they can be good, stiff, non existant, pull one way, pedal travel etc. Getting 2l ones on weekend, should be better lol.