PDA

View Full Version : 1.0 Litre Help!

Hesson1234
23-09-04, 08:24 PM
I have a 1 litre Nova, Wondering anyway to quieten the engine?? And make it a bit quicker?? Also what petrols best for it as it can use 4 star and unleaded?

wisewood
23-09-04, 08:26 PM
There really is very little which can be done to improve the performance of the 1 litre engine. Although someone will no doubt come along and say otherwise.

Hesson1234
23-09-04, 08:30 PM
yeah , jst to quieten it down a bit would be nice tho, Tuning is an idea but would it really be worth it?

wisewood
23-09-04, 08:36 PM
You cant really tune it... the amount it would cost it would be as easy to put a 1.2, 1.3 in it instead.

I know thats what people say about every engine size... upgrade to a bigger one etc... but in the case of the 1.0 instead of tuning it you really should consider a slightly bigger engine. Modifying it would increase insurance anyway.

As for making it quieter... i dunno about that. In what way is it noisey?

Hesson1234
23-09-04, 08:39 PM
Its bcus its over head valve, 1.2 up is overhead cam, Its like the ticking noise that you usually hear from old cars, very annoying!!

-Bruce-
23-09-04, 08:39 PM
its a push rod engine so you can adjust the cam gear, im not that clued up on your engine, but to adjust your tappets have a look in the haynes manual. it will tell you a step by step guide to do it and what to set them to.

bruce

wisewood
23-09-04, 08:41 PM
Understood.

The only thing i can think of is that some models (possibly the GTE/GSi i think) have a sound deadening under the bonnet. Try getting hold of that and fit to your bonnet... might muffle the sound a little.

Hesson1234
23-09-04, 08:43 PM
Yeah might work, my mate said get the tappets done at a garage as you need a special tool or summat, i might do both! Get a exhaust aswel to drown it out! :lol:

hendrix
23-09-04, 08:49 PM
The reason the engine is noisy is due to the old design of the engine, the same type of engine was being used in the 70's and probably earlier. it is the old OHV (overhead valve) engine whilst all other nova's are OHC (overhead cam). Nothing you can really do to quiten it down im afraid. It will ALWAYS rattle!! lol
When i had my one litre i drilled the airbox on it but that seemed to do nothing. Changing the exhaust made a slight difference but not much.
The most difference i got was by changing the carb to one off an early Mk2 astra 1.2. It has to be from a 1.2 otherwise it wont fit! If you can manage to find one (they are quite rare) then you will need to modify it slightly as it has a fuel return that goes to the pump on the astra. you will need to block this off otherwise you will have fuel all over ur engine. I did it with a piece of fuel pipe with a large screw in the end (bigger than the bore of the pipe!). I then put some heat resistant silicon sealant in it. That did the job
Hope this helps
Andy

Hesson1234
23-09-04, 08:55 PM
Ok..... Dont think i will be doing that :roll:

hendrix
23-09-04, 08:58 PM
ahhh its not that hard!! i knew nothing about cars at the time all i had was a haynes manual! :roll:

Hesson1234
23-09-04, 09:00 PM
Sounds like hassle to me lol, I will look into the sound deadening and getting the tappets looked at!

Paul
24-09-04, 01:12 AM
Live with it, to get the tappets looked at will cost you a fair bit. For that amount, I bet you could insure a 1.2?

The sound deadening was on GTE's, and GSi's as Wisewood said.

You can quieten your engine by giving it regualr oil changes...

Novas are noisy at the end of th eday, mine makes an awful racket. :roll:

Paul

Stuart
24-09-04, 08:05 AM
you could bung some thicker oil in to shut it up, but youd have to warm the engine up a bit more before thrashing it lol

to make it a faster car take weight out of it, eg rear seats if you dont need them etc

i quite fancy getting a 1.0 engine for a giggle ;)

wisewood
24-09-04, 08:26 AM
camb - no you dont.

Stuart
24-09-04, 09:48 AM
why not?

100bhp just waiting to happen

i want the fastest 1.0

MC
24-09-04, 12:49 PM
Get the fastest 1.2 first, in fact, get it running!

MC

Hesson1234
24-09-04, 01:49 PM
I no its a slow car!! I only just past my test tho and im only 18 so ya know couldnt really go much bigger,i think i got a really good condition Nova for ?300. The only rust i found was under the drivers door that i replaced! So i think it was worth it the money cus every 1.2 i went to see had messed up rear arches and they wanted more

~~joycey~~
24-09-04, 02:17 PM
my 1.0L is quiet as a mouse well it was before i put the k&n filter,oil breather and zorst on :lol:

but theres no rattleing or tapping and its d-reg 134 thoushand miles :roll:

jay
24-09-04, 07:18 PM
yea your tapets could be tapping alot and depending how many miles its done the cam chain could be rattly too which aint really worth worrying about,take the elbow of the airbox cuts down the restriction good little motors tho! i used to have one till i rote it off but it was alot quicker than my 1.2 8v corsa!!

epo
24-09-04, 07:58 PM
nova turbo diesel bonnet had sound deadening too under the bonnet

LukeManic
24-09-04, 09:45 PM
yer what epo said.

makes a difference actually on the diesel.

NoVa_KhAn
26-09-04, 01:05 AM
got my tappets done for 30 quid

backstreet garages mate mine were noisey as fcuk after i rammed it from 4th 2 1st at 50 mph lol

my car sounds better then ever now