PDA

View Full Version : weight reduction

PAG
23-09-04, 01:00 AM
is it possible to get a nova down to 650kgs!

what do they weigh anyhow?

General Baxter
23-09-04, 01:35 AM
could allways take up swimming :wink:

burgo
23-09-04, 01:37 AM
anything is possible mate

General Baxter
23-09-04, 01:38 AM
what do they weigh anyhow?

which 1?

Chris
23-09-04, 01:40 AM
i think a GTE weight 875kg, if it does then it will be hard to lose 200 kilos IMO

burgo
23-09-04, 01:52 AM
na if you completely strip the interior, have polycarb windows, glassfibre doors, front wings, tailgate and bonnet then you gotta be getting close surely

Stuart
23-09-04, 08:19 AM
rear interior to the front seats is 25Kg

MK! dash is 10-15KG

heater matrix is 9Kg

rear set brackets are 2kg

changing the roof skin for a kevlar one is a 2KG reduction

hole sawing the doors is 0.5 Kg per door (thats the door still useable lol)

fron seats are probably about 10KG eadh (replace with one ally seat)

front carpet is probably 3Kg

thats 66KG out straight away

poly carb windows redusces wight by approx 30-40% (and increases the strength)

ymm grp bonnet and hood i have no idea on the weights (yet)

i got my boot lid down to 7KG from about 12-15Kg

us a 1.2 mk1 shell as its a better base ;)

Ben
23-09-04, 12:14 PM
Thats what PAG has got if hes on about doing it to the black 2.0l he bought.

Someone i know had a weighbridge print out of 550kg. had replaced large parts of the foor pan with Ally etc, wide atch in fiberglass with all metal removed etc etc etc.

dhdev (Oli)
23-09-04, 05:45 PM
650 is definately possible i'm aiming for that or lower!!! my sr weighed 710 that was fully stripped (dashboard out and everything) two bucket seats, but standard windows and still had the spoiler and all vinyl.

Philsutton
23-09-04, 09:00 PM
that sound deadener on the floor is heavier than you think, i'd say i got about a good few kg's by taking that out. Plus dont fill your washer bottle up or dont have one :lol: take out all unused wiring.

gary_1.2Merit
24-09-04, 09:04 AM
take your spare wheel out ya spare wheel well

Stuart
24-09-04, 09:50 AM
btw yer average cage is 26Kg to consider when putting one back in (or leave it out lol)

im hoping to have mine weighing about 670Kg if im lucky

Stanley
24-09-04, 03:36 PM
1.2i weighs 750kg i think

remember wheels wiegh a fair bit

get some lightweight 1's

Dan
24-09-04, 05:28 PM
mine weighs in at 710-720kg, thats with adding 54kg back in (26kg cage and 28kg extra for heavier wheels) Obv within that allowances have been made for bigger brakes, seats same weight etc etc. We used no fibreglass panels at all due to budget, only thing we added was poly rears and qtr light windows due to still needed the glass winder windows. With that taken into account the 650 barrier is easily passable

imo you might possibly go to light on a fwd car anyway you gain later on but some of that would just be replacing what you have lost spinning away. light wheels could be a down fall also in the lower gears and traction could be an issue again which is why i have always stuck with the cav wheels.

A caterham is very light weight and very fast, but remember they are rwd and get away with it, we dont have those luxury's.

Some of my theories i have decided on might be twaddle, but some must work as the results are there to be seen.

Stuart
24-09-04, 07:18 PM
prehaps i could find myself closer to 650 than i thought lol

and dan your theories are twoddle cos your welsh but as your a god i accept them

woollard1892
25-09-04, 12:26 PM
my sri with full kit big wheels sub etc was 820kg weighed it on the weigh bridge at work

Glytch
28-09-04, 11:33 PM
Fit an aftermack petrol tank

m.d.
29-09-04, 06:53 PM
mine is fully stripped but i have a cage and have welded strengthening into the car, and box section for the seats and its still just under 800 kgs

its easy to get under 800 its just getting lower than that thats hard really.

im going to take out the rear seat brackets soon, replace the hatch and bonnet with fibreglass ones, change to poly carbonate windows, get an ally tank, replace the wings bumpers and rear arches with fibreglass wide arches and leave out the bumper supports. (the wide arch kit is lighter than the standard wings and bumpers buy quite a bit)

then im not to sure what else to do other than start cutting and drilling out pannels

nova_rally
29-09-04, 08:54 PM
Deffo get rid of the bumper steels, thats a good 5kg, if not more. I'm currently running with the bumpers held in only on by the self tappers on the wings!

Battery weighs a fair bit so stick to a small one, lose the heater if you can bare it, use GSi 3-spoke wheels - theyre lighter than air....

Cant really think of much else, that hasnt already been said anyway!