PDA

View Full Version : engine stalling

johnatstroma
20-09-04, 10:45 PM
wen driving my nova and have to slow dwn and change dwn gears my engine stalls when i put foot on clutch and the brake. For sum reason wen pump the brake wen idling the engine also stalls then too.

Could anyone help cause its really annoying

John

dunova
21-09-04, 08:07 AM
Sounds like new battery time mate-when you press the brake the servo goes and drains power from the battery (so can make the engine not run so well), but to stall the car your battery would have to be really flat+knackered.

Hope that helps

robb
21-09-04, 09:23 AM
Or there is a poor earth.

Chris
21-09-04, 11:05 AM
I would have said that there might me a fault in your servo as the inlet manifold causes a vacuum on the servo to make it work, if when pumping the brake pedal you push more air into the inlet manifold you could be stalling it this way??

Only an idea though.

I wouldnt have said that the battery would cause this at all to be honest.

Chris

dunova
21-09-04, 11:25 AM
I didn't think it was that likely to be the battery but on my old 1.2 when i pumped the break (when i was stopped) the engine used to flutter quite badly and when i put a new battery in it was alright. Stalling is quite severe though :o

5door_racer
21-09-04, 12:08 PM
yer, i think its probably vacuum problem. my engine used to nearly die if you pumped the break before i got it tuned properly. check your servo

johnatstroma
21-09-04, 02:02 PM
what shud i check on the servo to try and sort this?

will a new battery will solve this:?:
going to have a look th now nd see if can figure it out!

John

Aragorn
21-09-04, 06:17 PM
the battery is true if its got a dead cell

most nova alternators wont charge very much untill about 1500rpm meaning if its idling and the battery has a dead cell then theres a very good chance of voltage drop, braking would cause the brake lights to come on too which again draws more current and could be enough to kill it

HOWEVER! if the batt was this bad you wouldnt be able to start it without a jump/bump start every time so i doubt its that

more than likely just a badly setup carb or dodgy idle control valve if its injected which the vac drop from using the brake servo could be enough to upset causing a stall

johnatstroma
21-09-04, 08:43 PM
its only a 1.2 on pierburg 1b carb, it probably isnt set up right it idles irratically. will a garage set up the whole lot i.e timing and the carb? Its jst annoying wen ur driving nd the car stalls wen dip clutch nd press brake at same time.

John

burgo
21-09-04, 10:26 PM
Sounds like new battery time mate-when you press the brake the servo goes and drains power from the battery (so can make the engine not run so well), but to stall the car your battery would have to be really flat+knackered.

Hope that helps

lol i didnt know servos were battery powered, i guess thats why theres so many wires going to it!!! :wink: :twisted:

~~joycey~~
24-09-04, 02:50 PM
my sr used to do that i always wonderd wot it was :lol:

johnatstroma
26-09-04, 10:52 AM
i seem to have it sorted now. for some reason went went for mot the guys turn dwn th fuel mixture screw so car wasnt running properly.

I got someone to do the timing and then set that up for me and never had the problem since.

burgo
26-09-04, 02:45 PM
the probably adjusted it to get it threw the emissions

woollard1892
28-09-04, 12:31 AM
would these probs cause my c20xe nova as to stall a well cheers lee