PDA

View Full Version : How bumpy is your lowered nova?

broody
17-09-04, 11:30 PM
I've got -60mm PI springs and PVD shocks and had them about a year or more....

Now the ride is very uncomfortable and gives me a headache everytime i drive it due to the shaking and hardness of it.

I have standard GTE seats.
I love the fact there is no body roll and corners are fine but its every little bump that feels 10 times as worse as it is.
Im sure it wasnt always like this??

is anyone else's shocks/springs stupildy hard?

Jim
17-09-04, 11:53 PM
Sigh...Neil, you ask such silly questions sometimes, lol. Of course the ride is going to be harder when you change the stiffness of the springs and stiffen up your susspension.

It's one of those cons to modifying. Either live with it, or go back to standard. If you want to try and reduce the stiffness, then shell out for some coilovers or some adjustable shocks that allow you to adjust the dampness. This may help a little.

Jim

broody
18-09-04, 12:04 AM
Sigh...Yes i know Jim, i have known for a year since ive had the Lowered kit, but, recently ive noticed that its so hard that every bump is hitting the shock and its a very hard KNOCK instead of a compressed spring/shock thingy, if that makes sence.

Jim do you advise a shock/spring i could get -60mm?

Neil

Jim
18-09-04, 12:24 AM
perhaps your shocks have worn out? Did you replace the shocks with shortned shocks, or did you just get -60mm springs and standard length shocks?

I had a full Apex kit before, it was ok, but the springs were quite stiff, so the car didnt drop as much as the gmax kits did.

It really depends on your budget. If you can afford it, get coilovers, they give you the most amount of freedom to play with the comfort of the ride. If you cant afford coilovers, look at susspension packages that allow you to adjust the dampness.

Jim

broody
18-09-04, 12:30 AM
Yes i replaced the shocks, think ill have to replace the shocks and springs, what kind of prices are the coilovers you talk about and also price range of standard shock/spring kits.

Any makes i should stay away from and any others i should look for?

-Bruce-
18-09-04, 12:40 AM
yeh as jim says the shocks could be worn out!! as you do have a rather heavey engine!! this could have been posted in tech as well!! lol see if the shocks look ok if they are oil shocks look for leaks etc!1

bruce

Jim
18-09-04, 01:31 AM
You can pick up a full -600mm spring and shock set from a number of manufacturers for around ?200

Search on the web for prices for coilovers and other susspension packages.

Jim

P.S. I agree with broos3, this should be in technical.

Jules
18-09-04, 01:47 AM
You can pick up a full -600mm spring and shock set from a number of manufacturers for around ?200

Jim

-600mm?!?
:o
Jesus!!!
:lol:

peester
18-09-04, 03:21 AM
mines shite too neil; ruff as fook. apex racing shocks and springs. good for a track; not good on real roads. looking to buy billy or better next. i still have poly bushes and braces ready to go on too.

krobinson
18-09-04, 09:01 AM
I've got Bilstein cup shocks (expensive!!) with coilsprings -80mm springs, setup for fast road use!

It can get bumpy on really bad roads, but on smooth roads its fantastic. I've been in mates cars on cheaper shocks and mine definatly drives, handles and feels much better. Bilstein is definatly a good option!

Keith

Dave
18-09-04, 09:53 AM
if you look in th epotn catalogue fk go a budget coilover set for a nova for about ?250 not sure what the kit consists of but worth a look?

M_U_T_A_N_T21
18-09-04, 01:01 PM
had the same problem i think its the dampers that make it so bumpy i replaced mine for standard but its weather you want the uprated dampers but it did help alot on mine

http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/1909big5.jpg

broody
18-09-04, 02:24 PM
am i best with sticking with known brands or anything, found this on ebay but dont want to buy anything that isnt going to do the job properly....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40192&item=7921180329&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Jim
18-09-04, 03:58 PM

Jim

-600mm?!?
:o
Jesus!!!
:lol:

yep, thats right, my car is so low, its actually underground :lol:

Dam these late nights, lol. Thankyou for pointing out my error Jules :)

Jim

burgo
18-09-04, 04:07 PM
neil grab yaself a copy of demon tweaks and turn to page 274, you'll find single adjustable coilovers for ?60 each then on page 280 are the springs for them this way you can get the poundage to suit you. its alot cheaper buying them seperatly it seems.

just an idea mate

Matt Nova
18-09-04, 04:32 PM
Are the fixed rate bilstein kits any good seen these for about ?200 and thinkin of them as alot of people say they're very good stuff

peester
18-09-04, 07:44 PM
Are the fixed rate bilstein kits any good seen these for about ?200 and thinkin of them as alot of people say they're very good stuff

this is true. but do you know why its not that hard? because theyre only 10% uprated. but it is bilstein...
all others spax, gamx, apex etc are 30% uprated as rule of thumb.
proper bo billies (yellow) koni, k&w thats the sort of shizzle ya want. where just dampers cost ?90 each, lol. i asked coilsprings 89 what they recommend as a shocker for novas; they said LEDA!! just ask rick how much they cost! lol..

Barn
18-09-04, 10:14 PM
nearly bought a set of pukka LEDA's for mine but BigRuss talked me out of it saying that they would be too hard...

you think your suspension is bad Neil...try driving around with totally fcuked dampers that dont absorb any shock! :o

they were soon replaced with standard ones though, lol

im looking at Koni adjustables most prob (as soon as I can get the cash)

:+: