PDA

View Full Version : Whistling alternator

dan-hipgrave
17-09-04, 06:04 PM
For the past couple of days my alternator has begun to whistle when the car is idling or when under a small amount of acceleration, and its starting to get louder..

Is it a sign of an alternator on its way out, or does the belt need tightening a bit, or what??

Cheers guys..

novaboy1981
17-09-04, 09:13 PM
are you sure its the actual alternator and not just the belt?
i had the same prob and just changed the belt and it was ok, although this evening some noise has just come back! :roll:

dan-hipgrave
17-09-04, 09:14 PM
not sure whether it is the alternator or the belt, but it is definately one of the two.

You reckon i should change the alternator belt then?

novaboy1981
17-09-04, 09:17 PM
its well worth a try as its only about ?3 from motor factors!
the tension on the belt should give approx 10mm movement either way when you tighten the alternator back in place again

sTuDeNt
18-09-04, 02:01 PM
I have sprayed WD40 to shut it up :)
Worked! :)

Nick
22-09-04, 06:16 PM
hmm i wouldn't have thought spraying Wd40 on it would be the best idea, as it is a belt on some pulleys!

Mine was whilsting and i just tightened the belt up by moving the alternator bracket whilst prising the alternator tight with a metal bar wedged between my rocker cover and the alternator (you'l see what i mean if you try it) That seemed to stop the whilstling sound, but it's still there slightly.

i'd try buying a new alternator belt and then if it doesn't stop then get a re-con alternator . It could be the bearings in the alternator. Anyways, if u need a new alternator you'd buy a belt as well, so buying the belt is neccessary whatever the problem.

Just out of interest how much is a re-con alternator !?

and also, how do you know how tight the belt is supposed to be, i just tighetened it up as much as i could, so it was really taught. ????

benji
22-09-04, 09:18 PM
spray wd40 on it, if it shut's up then you know it's the belt not the alternator

AnThoNYnOvA
22-09-04, 09:26 PM
yeh the auxliary belt just tighten it up takes a few secs

dan-hipgrave
22-09-04, 09:38 PM
cheers for that guys :D will try some WD40 on the belt before i go to work tommorrow...

danny-g-
22-09-04, 11:40 PM
When the belt is properly tightened it should not twist more than 90 degrees,
well thats the theory, when a belt hasnt been properly tightened for a while the inside of the belt is smooth (shiny) and it should really be dull as they are new so yes you might need a new belt and make sure its properley tightened.
Remember no more than 90 degrees!!!

Dan