PDA

View Full Version : WINDOW TINTING HELP!!!! PLEASE

az_e11
15-09-04, 05:48 PM
I would like to tint my windows , but am unsure how difficullt it would be do do it my self using tinting film, what tools would i need, and how long is it likely to take, any one know.

Aint to sure whether to go dark smoke or limo black

Thanks

My car : http://www.novaload.net/features/viewfeature.php?ref=1710

8)

a2lt16v
16-09-04, 10:42 AM
limo black is only aloud on rear window and rear side windows,
i got fined for dark smoke on front windows

so really dark on rears and light on front it still looks ok

as for time i take windos out do them in my kitchen and put them in airing cupboard for a week or so to fully dry out.

i always have a spare set lying around to tint

dunova
16-09-04, 10:56 AM
I did mine (but will be getting proffesionally done one's!) and it was a piece of cake. The only thing that made mine look sh*t was the dust and hair and little bits of crap that get trapped between the film and glass-so if you do it make sure you do it in a really clean, dust free enviroment and make sure you clean the glass really well!

p.s the tailgate glass is the hardest to do because it is more curved :wink:

Ste_Nova
16-09-04, 12:08 PM
mk1 glass isn't curved

Stuart
16-09-04, 12:21 PM
neither is MK2 glass

the only curved glass is a slight curve in the fronts and the windscreen

dunova
16-09-04, 12:33 PM
I guarantee you without a shadow of a doubt that (well at least my tailgate window) is curved!!!!!

clawsk
16-09-04, 12:50 PM
Arnt mk1 and mk11 exactly the same?

dunova
16-09-04, 02:02 PM
Yes they are and both are curved!!!

Matt Nova
16-09-04, 03:07 PM
i've got dark smoke all round and never had any trouble I'd get limo black on the back and dark on the front mate. The back window is easiest to do in strips mines done in 2

epo
16-09-04, 09:47 PM
me and me mates did mine we took the windows out and left them to dry over night in a warm room
the back windscreen is the only one which we couldnt do
its difficult to do in one piece

mine look ok to say there not profesionally done (well am happy with them)
mine are mirror tint not a fan of the black ones tbh

Adam
16-09-04, 11:39 PM
i've got dark smoke all round and never had any trouble I'd get limo black on the back and dark on the front mate. The back window is easiest to do in strips mines done in 2
The most i would go on the front sides is light smoke, you aren't supposed to have an tint on the front sides. Anthing past(i think its the b pillar) the middle of the car, rear, you can have any darkness.
You could spray the back and rear sides with black spray paint if you wanted.
I have heard of someone getting a remover notice thing so you have to get the tint removed, that was light smoke all round :o
And the back window is a right pain in the arse, you can't get the tint to sit right. The sides are pretty easy if you take them out.

Matt Nova
17-09-04, 12:38 AM
Epo whats the law on mirror tints?

Elthrin
17-09-04, 09:21 AM
I would not recomend that anyone try and do them themselves. Well not without realising that the first attempt will be poo.

It can be done and it does not look that bad if you take your time and know what you are doing.

Saying that you will never do it properly if you don't have a low power heat gun to put a curve in the sheet for the back window.

I have done it a couple of times but on my girlfriends Astra GSI we opted to go for having it done profiesionally and I must say having watched how he did it, it is something that takes quite a bit of practice and preperation if you don't want it to have little bubbles and creases.

Something that I did find a lot easier though was using it to made graphics for the inside of the window.

Lots of hardcore scalpel action can give you some really cool effects.

Matt Nova
17-09-04, 11:29 AM
Any pics of the hardcore graphics made by scapels?

epo
17-09-04, 07:00 PM
Epo whats the law on mirror tints?

there illegal on the fronts

am gonna get the back done and have a rockford fosgate logo cut into it next i recon