PDA

View Full Version : Ecotek valve's

dunova
15-09-04, 11:18 AM
First thing-Some people say they dont do franky f*uck all, but some say they are great-any opinions?
Secondly-Can i use one without the air filter with it? Are there any possible dangers?
Cheers

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 11:55 AM
Right! Glad you mentioned it! I was bout to post one about it so here is the chance!
When I installed it it did not do too much! I gues fuel consuption went slightly low. Now after about 4 month here is the problem! I have had engine pinking well bad so it thought I will shut it and try again, so I did and turned up that it stoped pinking as much... Well its up to you mate. And dont bother with filter! No need!

dunova
15-09-04, 12:01 PM
I've read that 3 times now and i'm still struggling to understand what you're saying (I think its all the exclamation marks getting in the way).
So are you saying, it didn't do that much apart from lower fuel consumption abit, and then your engine started pinking quite badly and when you turned the valve off it pinked less? What engine have you got it on?

Will F
15-09-04, 12:04 PM
Simple answer mate.
Just dont bother.

Did Ben get hold of you in the end?

dunova
15-09-04, 12:06 PM
Still hasn't called me!! He's a bu**er to get hold of but he did say i could pick them up tonight so hopefully he'll call me.

Simple answer mate.
Just dont bother

Are they really that pointless?

Will F
15-09-04, 12:08 PM
Yes mate they are. Just dont waste your time with it.

Ben is a nightmare! His phone network has re-issued his telephone number to someone else! Thats why no one can call him!

He can call out though, so thats no excuse! :D

dunova
15-09-04, 12:10 PM
I would just go over tonight but i've forgotten where he lives :roll:
Well if you see him give him a punch from me :wink:

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 12:36 PM
I've read that 3 times now and i'm still struggling to understand what you're saying (I think its all the exclamation marks getting in the way).
So are you saying, it didn't do that much apart from lower fuel consumption abit, and then your engine started pinking quite badly and when you turned the valve off it pinked less? What engine have you got it on?

Yeah you got it right mate!
Sorry, I am a bit over excited! :))

Stuart
15-09-04, 12:46 PM
basically if your running a carbed/SPI engine DONT USE one as it can cause damage

if your running an MPI engine then they are "ok" but still kinda pointless

^thats for nova/vauxhall engines btw

i see and understand how they work, but of no real benefit to the nova community

dunova
15-09-04, 12:50 PM
i see and understand how they work, but of no real benefit to the nova community

Well thats why i was considering getting one because in theory they should help with performance and fuel consumption?

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 01:05 PM
The reason why they do not work with Carb and SPI and do with MPI is because the air to fuel calculation done by ECU is different in SPI to MPI? Forget about carbs completely then! :)
Is that so?
Yes they are pointless and cost a fortune!

Stuart
15-09-04, 01:16 PM
The reason why they do not work with Carb and SPI and do with MPI is because the air to fuel calculation done by ECU is different in SPI to MPI? Forget about carbs completely then! :)
Is that so?

incorrect

its got nothing to do with the ecu

its down to the location of the brake servo line in the manifold.

i really cant be arsed to explain why they dont work on novas as ive explained many times before! look in old posts

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 01:38 PM
OK.

I undertand, was just wondering!

Cheers!

clawsk
15-09-04, 01:59 PM
They are a load of shit for people who know Nothin about cars!

I lad i know has a 1.4 16V FORD FOCUS

He thinks its some kind of performance car, so he added an ecotek valve and as soon as it was fitted told everyone that his car was much quicker and thought he could beat my mate in a race!

1.4 focus vs 1.4 sr nova. Not a sniff! Funny as fuck.

dunova
15-09-04, 02:10 PM
They are a load of s**t for people who know Nothin about cars!

Why for people that know nothing about cars? Its not like you've got to fine tune them and use your in-depth knowledge of engines to fit one?!

No way around the brake servo line then? Looks like it'll just have to be an fse power boost valve then-altough i was going to just modify my fuel pressure regulator but could only JUST get 3 of the screws out+the last one was just impossible. Do i need to take it off if i get an fse or can i just plumb it in and leave the old regulator on there?

Stuart
15-09-04, 02:13 PM
take the rail off. its not hard

if you leave the old regulator there the FSE wont do a thing as the old reg will cap the pressure off

if our running an SRi/GTE/GSI then the ecotec can do things for you, but to be honest they dont do much at all.

dunova
15-09-04, 02:20 PM
Its a gsi, so for ?30 for one would i see ANY performance/fuel economy increases? Would using one with an fse make the ecotek 'work' better aswell?

Stuart
15-09-04, 02:52 PM
if you already have an ecotec you can fit it. if you dont have one. dont bother and put ?30 worth of bp ultimate or millers octane booster in lol

or put the ?30 to wards proper performance mods

dunova
15-09-04, 02:58 PM
No i dont have one as yet but there's one ending on ebay in abit, i think i'll just stick to getting a power boost valve-should give abit of extra umph.
Cheers guys :D

clawsk
16-09-04, 07:50 AM
Why for people that know nothing about cars? Its not like you've got to fine tune them and use your in-depth knowledge of engines to fit one?!

Its because they dont do anything! they are just a gimic.