PDA

View Full Version : Results of compression test

clawsk
15-09-04, 11:03 AM
Cylinder 1 = 125
Cylinder 2 = 125
Cylinder 3 = 75
Cylinder 4 = 25

Blown Head Gasket across Cylinders 3 and 4???

Car still runs, but cuts out a lot, very poor starter, doesnt use alot of oil.

8)

Stuart
15-09-04, 11:07 AM
was that with the throttle fully open?

the 125's seem a little low too.

did you do "wet" tests too? a bit of oil down the bores jobby to eliminate the rings

the head has to come off anyway. but its looking like a gasket breach

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 11:07 AM
How much did you pay for it mate? I need to do it!

clawsk
15-09-04, 11:15 AM
My mates dad has a compression tester, all i did was take out all 4 plugs, screw in comp tester one cylinder at a time and flick the engine over a few turns with the key. The tester holds the highest value that it reaches.

Go on ebay you can buy a compression tester for about ?15, dont pay a garage to do it!!

How do u do a wet test?

Will F
15-09-04, 12:06 PM
Do the test in the rain. :P

Stuart
15-09-04, 12:42 PM
lmao best answer ive ever heard to that question.

like i said, add a small ammount of engine oil down the plug hole. then retest, if the results are significantly higher than before then the piston rings are kerfecked

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 01:13 PM
My mates dad has a compression tester, all i did was take out all 4 plugs, screw in comp tester one cylinder at a time and flick the engine over a few turns with the key. The tester holds the highest value that it reaches.

Ok How do you turn the engine with the key? Are you talking about taking the head cover off, and then using spanner turn then camshaft? Cuz thats what I can understand from here! :o

Stuart
15-09-04, 01:14 PM
:roll:

you crank it over like your trying to start it (using the key)

Chris
15-09-04, 01:15 PM
no mate. Fit the compression tested to the first cylinder, and remove the HT lead from coil to dizzy. Then turn the engine over on the key for a few seconds on each cylinder test

Chris

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 01:17 PM
What key! :oops: I am totaly confused! :oops: :roll: Sorry! Turn it with what key???

Chris
15-09-04, 01:22 PM
turn the key in the ignition barrel to position three, and they usually make the engine turn over. As camb said

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 01:31 PM
turn the key in the ignition barrel to position three, and they usually make the engine turn over. As camb said

Thanks a lot for explaining!
Simplicity is always great! Cheers again!

clawsk
16-09-04, 07:53 AM
Well took the head off last night and the head gasket was perfect! so its the rings that are fucked!

Re-built engine is waitin for a few gaskets, then it is to be fitted!

a2lt16v
16-09-04, 10:37 AM
or your valves are not sealing

hence the wet test if it made a difference its the rings if it didnt its the gaske or the valves

but you rushed in and took its head off, now you best do it all

dont leave the key in there tho

Stuart
16-09-04, 11:12 AM
^ he has a point

should have carried on the compression tests to diagnose the precise problem

but yep rings, gasket, head skim, valve lapping etc. might aswell get the valveseats recut to be sure and maybe 3 angles to get minor performance increase

clawsk
16-09-04, 12:48 PM
It definatly aint the valves, cant see them just suddenly not sealin. The bores are a mess too. The head is back on now so will re-test compression later. But i have a new engine to go in anyway so might as well fit it now!

Cheers 8)