PDA

View Full Version : Strange knocking...

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 10:26 AM
I have very strange knocking that coming from the front righ wheel. Basically it doest knock constantly it only does it when you pull out from the first gear and specially knocks when you pull out and turning. Also knocks when I am reversing and it goes over a bump.
I have not checked the wheel, I will tonight, however I do not think it is wheel at all. When I took the wheel off when I was replacing suspension the place where the bearing nut is was well greasy and looked like it was leaking from it...
Any ideas?
Can it be CV joint?

Stuart
15-09-04, 10:35 AM
its either a CV joint or atleast one ball joint is gone

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 11:02 AM
Cheers mate!
Is there are a way to check it to be totally sure?

Philsutton
15-09-04, 01:05 PM

you say that but i had the same problem, found out yesterday that my rear engine mount had falling off :o yes there wasnt anything holding it on. All fixed now

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 01:09 PM

you say that but i had the same problem, found out yesterday that my rear engine mount had falling off :o yes there wasnt anything holding it on. All fixed now

How do I check that mate?

Chris
15-09-04, 01:12 PM
it sounds like the CV to me. Lay down under the car and shake the driveshaft about, it should have minimal play. With the wheel on the floor try turning the shaft, again minimal play. Not jack the corner up where the noise is coming from and apply full lock and spin the wheel. Listen but more importantly feel for anything holding the wheel back.

Hope this is of some help

Chris

Ojc
15-09-04, 02:19 PM
I had a very simular knocking, I thought it was the CV joint but then on further inspection realised that where I've had my X16XE fitted the downpipe meets the exhaust its very close to the rear engine mount and it knocks against it ever so slightly.

You can't hear it outside the car, but because the car is stripped out its really loud inside the car.

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 02:34 PM
I Will check guys! Thanks!!!

Riggy
15-09-04, 08:03 PM
like already said sounds like a cv but i had a noise like this which was my wheel bearing :(

epo
15-09-04, 08:18 PM
like already said sounds like a cv but i had a noise like this which was my wheel bearing :(

ditto

sTuDeNt
15-09-04, 09:40 PM
RIght! Now its even worse! On the full lock it makes really harsh knock that can be heared from outside the car, it comes from passanger side. On the straight line its all ok but the moment you do full lock it knocks! Can in be stearing mechanism? It cant be both CV can it? Its not constant knocking, just one or two off when you pull off and when turning! Can it be camber too much out of controll?