PDA

View Full Version : Engine running like sh*t

dunova
13-09-04, 07:35 PM
Ever since i bought my gsi (h-plate) the engine has run like sh*t, but i've tried to ignore it because i should have a new engine going in, but i've had enough now.
Basically it idle's like crap and i dont know why. I've played with the distibutor poitioning because its always been about 10-15 degrees from the mark on the distributor, but when i put it where i should be it runs even worse and even cut out last time i tried putting there.
I just cleaned the plugs and they were sooty (so its running rich) and when i let the car decelerate in gear it jerks back and fourth abit (mainly in 2nd and 3rd).
Has anyone got any suggestions?

Chris
13-09-04, 08:00 PM
try checking the timing on the cambelt, it could be a tooth or 2 out

dunova
13-09-04, 08:32 PM
I was gona do the timing but had a quick look in the haynes and it said you cant adjust the timing on injection engines-is that bo**ocks?

Chris
13-09-04, 08:46 PM
that is differetnt I am talking about the timing on your cam belt. It is called the timing belt in the haynes. Remove the cam belt cover, and turn the bottom pulley until you see a timing mark (a little V) and line it up with the pin on the back of the cover (as described in the haynes) now look at the top pulley, this should have a line on the outside edge, it should either be at the very top, or at the very bottom. If it is out then the belt will need removing and turning, if the mark was at the bottom of the pulley then turn the bottom pulley through 360 degrees, this should bring it to the top.

Chris

dunova
13-09-04, 09:04 PM
Okay cheers mate i'll give it a try. Is there any reason why it would be out? Can it come out on its own?

Chris
13-09-04, 09:08 PM
Okay cheers mate i'll give it a try. Is there any reason why it would be out? Can it come out on its own?

It would only come out if the belt hasnt been tensioned up properly, but then I wouldnt expect it to still be running. Most likely causes is an incorrectly fitted timing belt

dunova
13-09-04, 09:30 PM
Just had a look in the haynes and for erratic idle it suggests:
Intake manifold air leak
Leaking cylinder head gasket
Worn camshaft lobes
Uneven cylinder compression

It says more but i think these are the most likely. My engine also 'pinks' and for that it suggests the ignition-timing may be over-advanced. So i'll check all of that out.
Cheers for the help mate

robb
14-09-04, 09:13 AM
I had to change the head gasket on mine, ign timing was well out after and was running rich, idles fine but kangarood a bit, I just set the timing up and it is fine now.

Will F
14-09-04, 09:58 AM
I bet its one of the infamous air leaks.
Check AFM pipe for cracks for starters....

dunova
14-09-04, 10:16 AM
I did feel abit of an air leak near the afm/left hand side of the rocker cover but couldn't pin-point it. I'll have another look

I bet its one of the infamous air leaks.
Check AFM pipe for cracks for starters....

Do you mean the afm pipe to the throttle body?

Will F
14-09-04, 03:58 PM
Replace the whole AFM pipe.
Best way to check for cracks/splits is to remove the pipe and twist it about.

Ben
14-09-04, 04:06 PM
Terry I will have a look when you come to get the glass.

robb
14-09-04, 04:23 PM
FAO Ben/Will
Speaking of glass, do you have a set of std glass that is fairly clean for tinting. Mine is all weld splattered! And spares are numberplate stamped.

Pref without security numberplate stamped in. Or to save efforts a set tinted as it will be around ?50 in fu*in shite ripoff film. Ta

Ben
14-09-04, 04:25 PM
PM will and tell him to delve into his alladins cave!!!

robb
14-09-04, 05:40 PM
Ok will do