PDA

View Full Version : wireless networking (is it the future)

Riggy
13-09-04, 06:04 PM
right me 512 conection finishes next week so im goin on ntl 1 meg 8)

was just wonderin if wireless is worth it or not

we have 2 pc which want to be on net at same time and we have a laptop which would be usefull sometime to be on net

so should i just use a normal router and run wire or should i go wireless

what would i need and how hard is it to set up

sorry for the questions lol

carl

Al Wilson
13-09-04, 06:05 PM
One word - Bluetooth. I use it on my Powerbook and mobile all the time.

Phil_G
13-09-04, 06:23 PM
Hi,

wireless network deffo worth it. I ve just set mine up at home and find it well useful being able to shift files about without having to burn a disc off etc

Phil

Ste_Nova
13-09-04, 06:25 PM
lol bluetooth is no good for wlan..... stick to doing cars :lol:

personally i've got a netgear DG834G and cards to match

wisewood
13-09-04, 06:33 PM
To answer the question... yes it is the future.

Stuart
13-09-04, 06:40 PM

oh feck, i had best go get something different from BB buyer lol

Jules
13-09-04, 07:45 PM
I'm using a Linksys 4 port router (On a NTL 1.5 MB cable connection) and we've had no problems, I used to have a D-Link router but that was a pile of crap and would block upload completey at random for no reason - but since I swapped it for a Linksys one it's been fine.

You can setup a home network (LAN) so files can be transferred between the PC's on the network, I've not set my LAN up yet as I'm not sure how to (I'm not too ood with PC networking things) but I know it can be done.

Oh and it's a wired one, the wireless ones are about twice the price - plus I seem to 'trust' hardwired routers than wireless ones for some reason.

Ste_Nova
14-09-04, 09:53 AM

oh feck, i had best go get something different from BB buyer lol

:lol: :lol:

robb
14-09-04, 11:42 AM
Wireless is the future, easy to set up too, just the same as a normal network.

Bluetooth is too slow for a meg BBand connection.

jkhilton
14-09-04, 04:26 PM
make sure if you do get wireless, you lock it down so that only your workstations can connect through it. I have been using wireless for ages now and it is so easy to hijack someone elses internet connection.

If you do have a wireless card for your laptop, take a trip around manchester or any town nearby with it and have Netstumbler running on your pc, you will be suprised by how many insecure wireless networks you can just log onto with no configuration changes. I did it in Manchester and there are literally hundreds, alot do have encryption, but at the same time, alot dont. The best connection I have found so far is a 2mb connection just off Deansgate in Manchester, it was handy as I was waiting for a mate and he was late, so I was able to browse the net sat in my car!! :D

John

Snowface
15-09-04, 11:26 PM
i'm using a BT 200 router for my 1mbit line, connected to an 8-port switch downstairs with 3 computers. Then that switch is connected to a 5-port switch in my room where my PC plugs in and also my xbox for Xbox Live.

Sweet.

Soon i am linking my house with my mates house which is 3 miles away and then another mates house which is another 2 miles, using wireless and some bad ass antenna's.

Riggy
19-09-04, 05:37 PM
right bought all my network stuff yesterday ,
i got a msi wireless router and 3 wireless adaptors ?130 all in ,
setup in about 30 min and it really is the future would recomend it to anyone - but only one question how do i set up encryption on it with the (wep)settings

carl