PDA

View Full Version : Radio 1

Anonymous
16-10-01, 09:51 AM
Did anyone eles listen to Scott Mills this morning? He was basically sla**ing off boy racers. Well, not wanting to allow him to drag us all down to the level of XR2 owners, jkhilton and myself felt it appropriate to email in explaining that not all young people with customised cars are boy racers. Thuis is the email I sent. I didn't mean to make it sound as serious as it did, but what the hell :)

"Hi Scott,

I've been listening to your show this morning and have been rolling around in stitches listening to all the Kev's phoning in.

I own a Vauxhall Nova and regularly log onto a Website dedicated to the Nova called Novaload. Here we ask questions about the car to help us gain knowledge and learn something.
Just because we are young and have cars it doesn't automatically make us into "boyracers". Basically we are doing what our parents did when they were younger, it's just that they all collected stamps or bits of old war planes etc. but today's interests is cars. I accept that there are a select few that tarnish the image of people who are genuinely interested in making there cars look nice for shows and things, but why label everyone the same way. It is kind of being racists if you like, looking at us all and saying oh, they are all young druggy racers and don't have a life, but we aren't!!!!!!!!!!

We have specific meets throughout the year in the UK and in Europe which are organised by people in there own time. I can safely say that whenever I attend one of these meets, there is never any trouble, we all chat and gain ideas from one another on how we've 'customised' our cars. I have a personalised number plate, but what you don't know is that my 65 year old uncle bought the Nova from new and had his initials for his number plate, I bought the car of my uncle 3 years ago and unfortunately he has since passed away. I keep the personalised plate to remind me of my uncle who was a great man. Just because you have a personalised plate doesn't mean your a Kev!

I don't mean to get all serious, but there is a controlled side of having a modified car. Those of us that own Novas are more responsible. We would rather have our cars looking good and running well. What's the point in spending thousands of pounds on your car to rag it around the streets either blowing the engine or hurting someone?

Please tell the public to give boy racers in general a break, were not all out to cause trouble.

SlimJim"

Jim

Anonymous
16-10-01, 10:32 AM
so if you do not class urself as a boy racer then he wasnt insulting you was he?

dont be so arsed about what a STAND IN radio dj says anyways.

Anonymous
16-10-01, 10:33 AM
woderful use of the word "kev" mate !

If it isn't kev it isn't worth it !!!

Anonymous
16-10-01, 10:35 AM
wonderful (sorry)

If it isn't kev it isn't worth it !!!

Anonymous
16-10-01, 10:45 AM
blondie, like I said, it didn't mean for it to sound as serious as it does, you know what emails are like :) but aren't you sick of getting sterotyped all the time? I wasn't ar5ed about what he was saying, I sent the email to get Novaload plugged more than anything. The trouble is, people like "Mr and Mrs Smith" who just happen to listen to Radio 1 might have taken what he was saying about boy racers seriously and were probably thinking to themselves, these young drivers are all idiots and will give us hassle when it's not neccesary. I was merly trying to get the public to cut us some slack. I don't care if I'm labelled as a boy racer, becasue I don't drive or act like a boy racer. It's up to the individual how you react to these names. I do believe that those people I've met in person from novaload are not Boy Racers, we just take pride in our cars.

David, unfortunatley "Kev" was the word used by Scott Mills to describe boy racers. In no way do I mean to upset anyone who is called Kev (especially since the owner, and might I add "Nova God" ;) of this website is called Kev)

Jim :)

Anonymous
16-10-01, 10:57 AM
I think it is perfectly alright for Slim to send that email, basically the show was about young people and their cars and it was making the point that we are all "boy racers", there was no real distinction between people who show their cars and scallies!!!!! The point had to be made that we are not all in the same group, some people like to screw the balls off their cars and others like to get their car looking good and keep it looking that way!!!
Every argument needs 2 sides, and from the sounds of it, the Radio 1 thing didn't, slim was simply providing another point of view.

:)

2.0 16v, more trouble than it's worth??? I dont think so!!!!!! :D

Anonymous
16-10-01, 11:00 AM
I see what ur saying, noone wants to be labelled a boy racer cos it does give off a bad image. I dont feel steroetyped because I do not class myself as a boy racer but I can tell the diff between one and a car enthusiast (which I class myself as). Its when wankers like STAND IN dj scott mills cant see the diff that pisses me off. Judgemental twats like mr and mrs smith can fuck off , aslong as you know your not one of the ones doing wheelspins on maccy d's carpark then thats all that matters.

Send him another e-mail asking him why we only ever hear of him when some one else like sarah cox couldnt be arsed coming in to work.;)

Anonymous
16-10-01, 01:08 PM
er.. im a proud boy racer! Its drivers like me who give you all a bad name.

Anonymous
16-10-01, 01:19 PM
or you could not listen to him so his listening figures drop and he gets sacked.

Anonymous
16-10-01, 01:35 PM
lmao @ james, brave comment!!! :) hahaha

2.0 16v, more trouble than it's worth??? I dont think so!!!!!! :D

Anonymous
16-10-01, 02:18 PM
im not up early enough to listen to him anyway :D he he he

Anonymous
16-10-01, 07:24 PM
i class my self as a boy racer, isn't a boy racer someone who races people on the streets? whats wrong with boy racers n e way, alright we break a few speed regulations, but at least r cars are in good nick, what more we can park and we don't turn left on round-a-bouts in transits(when we were meant to go right) and hit poor innocent nova with his boy racer owner.

lancia delta or cossie? LANCIA!

Anonymous
16-10-01, 08:26 PM
i was at work listening to it and i was laffing

dont take it so serious

2moro he will be ripping it out ov postmen or sumthing!

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
16-10-01, 10:38 PM
Scott Mills is an arse wipe.

Anonymous
18-10-01, 09:14 PM
I dont take it so seriously,but I do dislike being branded a boyracer from owning a nova,I think the fiesta has to be"the" boyracer car,whereas the nova is a young modifiers car I cannot believe how many peeps class me as a boyracer when they discover I have a nova!-anyways,wot happened to the worst racers of all, peeps who own cavs with a DTM zorst and 14" alloys?-with nice "injection" graphics?-I dont usually complain bout being called a boyracer,but its so degrading

I want some 15"s!