PDA

View Full Version : ...Scrubbin with 15's!

Barn
12-09-04, 11:32 AM
Recently fitted a set of 15 inch wheels...

195/45/R15 are the tyres on the back...

the car is lowered approx 40mm and the is quite abit of scrubbing on the drivers side rear.

I've had a look at it and it is very tight in there and there are scrubbage marks on the damper (sorry Russ!)...the passenger side has acres of room but the drivers side is a real tight one.

I thought the scrubbing would go after putting 45's on the back coz it was majorly bad with 50's on :o !

The wheels are ET45 offset.

Any ideas ?

epo
12-09-04, 11:44 AM
is it a mk1 shell and could you not fit a spacer to pull the wheel away from the damper

Davy!!
12-09-04, 03:04 PM
what size are the alloys? 6x15? or 7x15?? 6-6.5x15 should fit lowered without modifying the arches much, 7x15, waste of time and look stupid as they sit out the arches!
i had 6x15 on my nova with 195x50x15 tyres and lowered 80mm at the back and 60mm at the front, and just touched away my arches and it was fine!

Barn
12-09-04, 09:18 PM
well its a Mk1 shell yeah.

the problem is not on the arch though, its rubbing on the damper.

Thinking the wheels may be 7inch as they look pretty wide.

They are TSW Alpine alloys. ET45 and 15".

Don't really want to do the spacer thing if I can help it.

cant believe I'm having scrubbage with b*stard 15's and -40mm drop. gutted.

Maybe a wheel bearing has gone ?

robb
13-09-04, 09:35 AM
Have you got poly bushes on the rear?

This will stop the rear from moving side to side as much, if it still rubs i.e is further one way than the other then put a washer on each bolt on the rear hub to move the side out by a few mm.

(poly bushes from vaux md search google)

Barn
14-09-04, 01:00 PM
no aint got any poly bushes at all mate.

might be worth a try....as its driving me fcuking nuts....scrubbin with no one in the back either and just me in the car.

so where shall I put the washers?

robb
14-09-04, 01:07 PM
They would go inbetween the hub and the sus arm. There are 4 bolts I beleive on the back of it, looking at the back of the drum/hub.

That's if they are rubbing on the inside of course, the bushes may be a good idea as it reduces side to side movement of the reab beam. The other option is spacers but they may be too much and push it to the outer arch.

Jules
14-09-04, 01:15 PM
On my old MK1 I had 7x15" TSW Evo's et45, it was lowered 80mm at the rear and once the arches had been rolled it didn't rub either on the shock or arch - I was running 195/45 15 Toyos which have quite a 'square' sidewall and don't bulge out like some tyres.

Barn
14-09-04, 01:20 PM
yeah...all the scrubbin is on the damper rather than the arch.

will have to wait for a few payments to go out of my account and then I'll get hold of a set of washers and poly bushes

robb
14-09-04, 02:27 PM
Poly bushes from vaux-md (do a search) cheaper and avaliable with stainless inserts so they wont corrode and be a bastid to take off in a few years.

I prob asked before but where you in Wales barn?

Barn
14-09-04, 11:54 PM
from Swansea mate. thanks for the tip too...will look into them soon.

where you from mate?

BigRuss
15-09-04, 08:11 AM
We should be able to sort this problem out for You the weekend matey :D

Are You going to be able to call up Sunday? :wink:

robb
15-09-04, 04:33 PM
I am from Trelleck near Monmouth, just in Wales really.

It seems you have the hand of BigRuss to help you out so I am sure it will be sorted.

P.S. anyone going to billing as there is a meetup on M6 somewhere headed by STE on the sunday, will be my map to get there as I ain't got a clue where it is lol. If you Swansea boys are coming we could join up at monmouth and go up M50 M5 to meet others.