PDA

View Full Version : suspension question...

dan-hipgrave
11-09-04, 10:20 AM
A bit of a stupid question really, but i was wondering if this is possible..

I finally got around to fitting my front suspension yesterday, but couldnt get the strut apart. I used the swan neck spanner and then a smaller one to stop the strut from spinning, but it wouldnt come apart, and eventually started to round off the smaller nut on the strut top..

So what i want to know is, while the car is all back together, is it possible to just undo or loosen the strut nut without any danger when i then jack the car up and take the strut off?

Or will this be dangerous even though the car is all back together? This is the only easy way i can see that the strut will come apart, any other way will just round off the nut more..

Dan

sTuDeNt
11-09-04, 10:42 AM
Mate I am going to do this today in Reading. If all goes smooth with mine one you can have any part you like! By the way If you want to give me a hand then "YES PLESASE" :) There are going to be some friends with me we can take a look at yours then!

dan-hipgrave
11-09-04, 10:46 AM
cool cheers mate, what are you gonna have left over after changing yours?
All i need really is 2 front struts preferably with the top mounts already off, so that i can either fit my lowering springs, or my koni front struts if the thread on them is the same as the thread on the original struts (if any of that makes sense to anyone i will be amazed :lol: )

m.d.
11-09-04, 11:23 AM
get a set of gte brand new shocks and whack your new springs on them. they are mega cheap even brand new (sachs ones) then to get the top mounts off your old shocks just hold the shock in a vice and cut the shaft in half. then you can remove the spring and hold the shaft in a vice (tight) so you can undo the bolt with the swan neck. job done.

nova_rally
11-09-04, 07:14 PM
Yes you can undo the assembly with the top-mounts still bolted to the car. Just undo the 2 bottom nuts on the shock, and point it away from the CV. You don't need spring compressors, just avoiding getting an body parts in the way!

Get it stuck against the CV and it will be a nightkmare to remove, been there and done it. (knackered the CV in the process)

Alan