PDA

View Full Version : do you know your emissions...

Potswalker
10-09-04, 09:15 AM
right after muchos cash and days in the garage the only thing left that wont pass the mot is my emissions!
took off the magnex de-cat system and k+n so its all back to standard(cat and all)
its reading far too high on the co2 and the lamda is just out
fast idle co2 is 2.38%(needs to be 0.3% :oops: )
" lambda 0.94(needs to get to 0.97
this was with the air filter on.
now it reads
fast idle co2 is 1.56%
" lambda 0.95
better but still a long way to go.
they said because the cat has been sitting in my garage for 8 months+ that it could have collected moisture so giving it a hard drive and heating it through just "may" fix the problem so i;m doing that later but if it doesn't what will???
will cost about ?60 to get it on a diagnostic machine but bear in mind that i've spent hundreds already and once its passed the de-cat system and exhaust will be back on so really dont want to spend much more :cry:
please help...loosing the will to keep the nova which is a depressing thought :|

robb
10-09-04, 09:19 AM
You say it reads certain things after taking things off and replacing them....

...just jam the gas tester in its arse and set the levels correct, it may run like a bag of shit but it will not fail emissions!

You can then put it back up after. (Also possible to get it right without changing from its 'modifed state')

Potswalker
10-09-04, 09:31 AM
took off the k+n and put on my old standard air box.
its an SRi and the garage are saying that they cant really adjust it
are they wrong?

dunova
10-09-04, 09:43 AM
Maybe the backbox is full of moisture as its been sat for ages :?: :!:
Have you phoned partco yet?

Stuart
10-09-04, 09:53 AM
there is a CO adjuster on the afm that might let you tweek the emissions a little, but yes put the cat on, get it good and hot with some hard driving and then get the emissions tested ;)

dunova
10-09-04, 09:56 AM
Wheres the afm on an sri?

Potswalker
10-09-04, 09:59 AM
want to give it a good rant before i call part co. what can i say im an optimist. also does anybody know what the lambda figure actually is? is it the temp?

Potswalker
11-09-04, 09:51 AM
it's now passed the emissions on fast idle but for some reason its now failing on tick over. does anybodybody know what could cause this. sounds very strange to me but still not sure what to change? its ticks over well comfortably at 900rpm

Chris S
12-09-04, 09:38 AM
bung him ?20 and tell him to stick the tester up a different cars exhaust pipe :wink: :lol:

Stuart
12-09-04, 10:04 AM
lambda is the ammount of oxygen left after combustion

ie the correct air fuel ratio.

nothing to do with temperature

Davy!!
12-09-04, 03:00 PM
you lot seem to pay a fortune for almost everything, if you fart about with cars etc... you must know someone or someone who knows someone who will turn a blind eye...thats the main point of messing about with cars, cheap parts, and any problems someone always knows someone!

as for the mixtures, any garage i been to for an MOT they adjust it for you, or if they cant the just ignore the readings, or alternativly if you have everything done for an MOT buy a dodgy one!