PDA

View Full Version : Explain the term!...

sTuDeNt
08-09-04, 07:47 PM
Can some one explain whats the difference between engine knocking and engine pinking, what is it caused by and what can you do about it and how to fix it. Whats the danger of having it?

Cheers!!!

epo
08-09-04, 09:55 PM
i thought engine pinking was when the mixture is too rich you can here it at low revs i think also there is a tell tale sign on the plugs

Snowface
08-09-04, 09:58 PM
pinking is when the mixture ignites before its meant to. Too much compression can cause this. i think its similar if not the same as 'knocking'.

Snowface
08-09-04, 10:10 PM
i think pinking might be where the timing is advanced or retarded too much so the mixture ignites at the wrong point.

ad19car
08-09-04, 10:27 PM
Yeah snow face is right its also known is pre - igntion or detonation. I noticed you have a 1.2l, As you have no ecu, you can check the following thing things to stop it. You have a smal pipe running fom your distributor to your carb area, check that is clear as that is responsible for advancing your ignition with your revs. Another thing is to check your timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft. If there even slightly out of align it can play real havoc. very light pinking on a hot engine under load is aceptable but heavy pinking in time can do damage to your piston crown the big and litle ends of the con rods and your crankshaft shels. NOT GOOD! Best to get it sorted quite soon. Hope this helps. Adam

sTuDeNt
08-09-04, 10:34 PM
Thanks guys!!!

Now I have done all the checks and its all fine. However I have cheked the timing with the strobe but I have no freaking idea what it should be!!! :cry:
How much am I looking for to get it sorted in the garage? I bet they going to rip me off in full! Is there are anyone in Croydon area who can please help me with it! When I checked my timing with the strobe I had 5 degree BTDC at tickover and about 12 at 3000RPM does this sound right?

PS

I have noticed that modern engines dont have this problem... :?:

Stuart
09-09-04, 11:00 AM
modern engines have ECU's with knock sensors etc so they can find the limit of pinking/knocking and stay near it to maintin optimal efficiency.

knocking is ignition of the fuel too soon causing the peak pressure to occure before the piston gets to or beyond TDC. this can be caused by too high a compression ratio, too far advanced spark, or piss poor fuel.

sTuDeNt
09-09-04, 11:25 AM
So knockin only caused by the external factors not internal engine factors. I have bosh spark plags, the once with 4 contacts, can this be a problem :oops:
Can knocking be caused with the engine wearout? Or not?

Would the correct timing reset will sort it out?

Stuart
09-09-04, 12:15 PM
its caused by internal or external things

just go to a garage and ask for a "tune up" they will sort your timing and fuelling out for you. saves you messing about like you have been!

sTuDeNt
09-09-04, 12:24 PM
True!!! :lol:

Cheers.

Any idea how much they will rip me off for?