PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh Electrical problem

ChrisGTE
08-09-04, 09:47 AM
For some reason I broke down because of a split water pipe I got that fixed now my battery wont keep charge I changed the battery and still had the same problem so I then changed the alternator and still had the same bloody problem and now I just dont know where to look Im beginning to think I should just scrap the bloody car. I used to like my car until i started to wreck it anyone got any ideas on what it could be ? its a 1.6 GTE 1990
Ive heard electrical faults are expencive so I dont know weather it is worth fixing or just scrapping it because after all whats the point in paying 3000 insurance on a car I cant drive :-( :cry:

srs1
08-09-04, 09:49 AM
have you checked all the wires to the alt are connected?
and have you checked the earth straps?

ps, tech section question

dunova
08-09-04, 10:02 AM
ps, tech section question

This is the tech section :idea:

The wiring setup for charging the battery is so simple it cant be anything too hard to find surely :?: -if its not charging you've either got a loose/damaged wire from the alternator to the battery or you earth isn't connected properly on the alternator or battery.
I had a similar problem and it was really pishing me off, then one day (after a new battery and different alternator) i realised my earth lead had come lose and fallen out of vision so i hadnt connected it up, as soon as i did-hey presto!

robb
08-09-04, 03:35 PM
There is an earth strap on the starter, well the starter bolt points anyway, if this is off or fudged then you will have the problem described above. I had it changed alternator (biatch to do) and found earth strap disconnected.

Will F
08-09-04, 04:09 PM
There can also be earth straps on the alt which you may have left off.
I take it that the battery warning light is on?
If not check if its on with the ignition.

epo
08-09-04, 09:57 PM
i had this problem on me gte where the alternater earth strap had snapped so was not holdin its charge deffo check that :wink: