PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hight Pitch Ratling Noise! HELP!!!!!!!!!

sTuDeNt
07-09-04, 12:44 PM
Guys I have an annoying noise from the engine compartment. This only happens at low revs, usually 4th gear under around 1500 revs. Its ratling high pithc noise, sounds like two metal spanners hitting each other at the frequency of about 1 or two per second. The only thing i can think of is clearence between valves. (I am not sure how its called properly :oops: ) But I hope you know what I mean.
Also the other thing I wanted to ask is that at the 2nd gear after about 2800 to 3200 the car stars to lose power, the moment you put it in to 3rd it continues to accelerate. :o You can feel that it spots pulling slightly slower...

Please Help!!!

MC
07-09-04, 01:00 PM
Sounds like your timing or fuelling are wrong. Incorrect timing would result in the noise you describe under load at low revs and would result in loss of power.

MC

sTuDeNt
07-09-04, 01:15 PM
Can someone give me the correct timing setup for 1.2.
Can you give me the correct settings for
Idle

Will much appreciate this thnx a lot!

Nick
07-09-04, 02:47 PM
take it to a garage and get them 2 sort the timing out, as it's quite a important thing 2 get right.

It should idle at 950'ish i think . look in the haynes manual, it tells the idle speeds for every model and engine.

i know the flat spots of power your talking about, and in my case i put it down to my fuel pump. Take your filter off and pull the throttle cable, mines quite bad and you can see the jet of fuel splutters into the carb for the first bit of the burst, then it comes in stronger = power flat spots ! well i think that's right :-S

sTuDeNt
07-09-04, 03:25 PM
I could do it myself with some help from my neighbour who owns mechanics in Croydon! All I need to know is the timing settings for the revs! But noone seems to know.... :?

sTuDeNt
07-09-04, 06:36 PM
I REALLY NEED TO KNOW THE SETTINGS FOR TIMING PLEASE :roll:

I CANT BELIEVE NO ONE KNOWS HERE!!!!!!!! :o

robb
08-09-04, 09:43 AM
It was 9 degrees for my 1.4 and my GSi according to haynes but that caused the mix to be a bit lean on GSi (ECU controlled) so I had to play around with mix and timing to get a good medium.

Just set to 9 degrees and see how it drives. Then jam a gas tester on there.

P.S. sent your manifold today will be there at around 10.30.

Stuart
08-09-04, 10:18 AM
umm how did you play with the timing with ecu controlled ign? lol

and mr student, chill the fuck out!

robb
08-09-04, 12:08 PM
mix to be a bit lean on GSi (ECU controlled)

Sorry i meant the injection timing is ECU controlled, there is a screw adjuster on the AFM which does airfuel mix?

Any way I fondled the dizzy and that screw till I was happy :D.

Stuart
08-09-04, 12:22 PM
the screw changes the CO output but dosent really effect the overal air fuel mix as thats done by the ecu

sTuDeNt
08-09-04, 12:54 PM
umm how did you play with the timing with ecu controlled ign? lol

and mr student, chill the f**k out!

I really think that the one who needs to chill is you....

robb
08-09-04, 01:10 PM
Surely to affect the CO2 output it will have to adjust the amount of air/fuel that is being burnt?

Anyway sTuDeNt has a 1.2 carb I beleive so it is fully adjustable. And no handbags on the forums please!

If it ain't carb he has a manifold on the way to accept the Pierburg carbs, if you are fitting it tune it after you have changed things.

sTuDeNt
08-09-04, 02:58 PM
Robb, mate I hav 1.2 carb but I am fitting 32/34 DTML Webber! So should be very nice :)!

Yeah I will check the timing.

How does it work with the emission, the correct timing should provide minimum CO emission, is that the right thinking then?

robb
08-09-04, 03:25 PM
The emissions are measured on hydrocarbons in parts per billion and the level of CO2 or O (oxygen). This can all be set up on a gas tester, you will probably need to have it jetted so best leave it to the experts. They will also do the timing for you.

Check you have an adapter plate for the weber and also a pancake K&N will dent the bonnet on one of the holding bolts, a mate has one and has a nipple on his bonnet now.

Did you pick the manifold up?