PDA

View Full Version : bit of a problem

broony
07-09-04, 12:31 PM
Im a bit worried.... I was driving in fourth gear, almost at 5.5k revs when instead of changing into 5th, i mistakingly changed it into 3rd.

The revs obviously shot up but got the clutch down quite quick.

Just wondering what kind of damage could have been done because there seems to be a loss of acceleration and power? A hose had burst but ive since fixed that. Any ideas chaps?

Dpnova
07-09-04, 12:33 PM
If your running an SRI (like feature says) you will be fine as they have a rev limiter to save the engines in these circumstanses so you should be fine!

MC
07-09-04, 12:58 PM
A rev limter wont do anything to save you in those circumstances so thats wrong.

When you say that there is a loss of acceleration, how severe is it? Are there and strange noises and does it sound like its miss-firing?

Over revving could cause any of the following:

1. broken followers (lift the rocker cover off to have a look, its an easy job)

2. slipped cambelt (Use a haynes manual to show how to check the cam timing. A small slip would cause a drop in power whereas a large slip would lead to broken followers and bent valves)

3. Bent or broken valves ( if severe enough can dame head and block in process)

At 5.5k changing down, you'll probably be safe. Its not that high. I did the same when at 7.5k, snapped a valve head and destrotyed the head and block.

MC

Stuart
07-09-04, 12:59 PM
a rev limter WONT save that as the gearbox forces the engine over its rev limit, its called buzzing

MC did this in his and he was telling me that a valve head came off the vavle stem and wedged into the piston/ head etc

its a messy event lol

get a compression check done asap. check the cam timing incase it jumped teeth and then maybe get the head off to inspect

Dpnova
07-09-04, 01:05 PM
SHit didnt relise it could be that bad. :o

broony
07-09-04, 01:23 PM
There isnt a massive amount of acceleration loss.
Also there is no rattling or knocking so i dont think any followers are broken.
Im hoping that it could just be the timing thats out a bit?

Im just worried coz its a beauty of an engine that i bought from Ollster thats on here sometimes. It would be a shame to have damaged it!

Stuart
07-09-04, 01:32 PM
oops i semi double post there lol

novaboy1981
08-09-04, 10:52 PM
funny you mention this mate, ive just had the same problem over the weekend!
its a pain in the arse when it happens and im not quite sure why it did! anyway, i think everything is still in order down below....lets hope it doesnt happen again too soon!

andy

MC
10-09-04, 09:26 AM
The most common cause for missed gear changes between 4-5th (apart from driver error) is a poorly aligned gear linkage. The day I destroyed my 1.4 it had slipped a little. Not so much that I couldn't drive it, but enough that when I went for a fast gear change under pressure at 7.5k it all went pear shaped! Still whooped the 2.0 16v Astra GTE I was racing, but was embarrassed when sat at the side of the A127 waiting for recovery!

MC

broony
12-09-04, 11:52 AM
Yeah its crap but no as bad as when I was going down the motorway and my engine blew up covering the car behind me with bits of metal and oil!