PDA

View Full Version : will 2 amps be too much?

tom_beverley
06-09-04, 11:00 PM
hi ive got 2 amps and im thinkin they are goin to used a lot of power! Im thinkin theyre goin to drain my battery very quickly. Does anyone else run 2 amps and what have you done to get over this if it is such a big problem. The amps are both 600w (kenwood and magnat), 1 amp is goin to power 1 of my subs and the other will power another sub and my components.

Would a power cap help at all? I jus dont want to park up for a bit and then not be able to start her up!

cheers

nova ian
07-09-04, 11:50 AM
alrite mate, i hav 2 amps, 1 running a sub and the other running 6*9s. i hav a 1 farad power cap hooked up 2 the subs amp. it does help a bit as my lights dont dip as much 2 the bass, but i never leave my system on without the car running just incase!

you could put a bigger alternator on, that would help. i heard that the alternator off the diesel novas is bigger and fits straight on to the existing mounts, but im not 100% on that

hope this helps mate.

ian

Coddy
07-09-04, 12:08 PM
yeah source out an alternator form a bigger engined car and also use that wire form your headunit and fit a switch so you can switch the amps and subs off if you need

novaexplod
07-09-04, 12:56 PM
du mean the signal wire??

-tucny-
07-09-04, 06:35 PM
iv been told the deisel alternator is the way to go too, u should get a decent battery to match too. iv had two 12" subs, 6 x 9s etc running off a massive amp n it wasnt too bad - lights dimmed a bit n the battery would go flat if the engine wasnt running but then again it was only a weener battery of a 1.2. i then had two amps running a 15" etc with a 1 farad cap n that was fine.

epo
07-09-04, 07:51 PM
i have two amps one 600 watt t'other is about 400 watt
ive never had a problem with mine i runn alot of stereo and am also gonna run tv dvd and dreamcast when i get round to it

srs1
08-09-04, 09:36 AM
bosch alternator which runs at 70 amps
heavy duty cav td battery.

that should sort you out, and if it still makes your lights dim, then power cap as people have suggested.

and i would def not have the stereo on whilst the engine is not running.

epo
08-09-04, 06:24 PM
bosch alternator which runs at 70 amps
heavy duty cav td battery.

that should sort you out, and if it still makes your lights dim, then power cap as people have suggested.

and i would def not have the stereo on whilst the engine is not running.

true cant be doing your ignition coil any good

tom_beverley
09-09-04, 03:27 PM
arent td nova alternators as easy to find as rocking horse shit? Ill try n find 1 like, ive got a decentish battery but i might try n get a cav td 1, about how much will i have to pay for these?

thanks for the help!

srs1
09-09-04, 08:14 PM
cav td batteries are about ?60-70 from halfords, i would suggest somewhere like motor world or motor mania as i got a price from them at ?55.

as for the alternator, try asking will f and ben. they some times have them.
i bought a uprated bosch one at trade price for ?70.

epo
09-09-04, 08:32 PM
or look on a cav forum for the alternato, ebay or see if scrappies

ie www.doncastermotorspares.co.uk

or autovaux or see for a reconditioned one

srs1
09-09-04, 09:23 PM
or ask me, as i have just found one in the garage.

me thinks that was a good build up to it. :D

tom_beverley
09-09-04, 10:29 PM
id be proud of that build up mate :lol: pm sent